AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the RP-82 and the DTS tracks started dropping out. The DD versions work fine, but last week, the DTS tracks lose sound for just a second and then come back on. I have tried a couple of disk and they all do the same thing. I don't think it is my receiver because the signal is never lost.

Is there a recall for this?

Does anyone have previous expeince with this problem?

What should I do?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael4JBL
I have the RP-82 and the DTS tracks started dropping out. The DD versions work fine, but last week, the DTS tracks lose sound for just a second and then come back on. I have tried a couple of disk and they all do the same thing. I don't think it is my receiver because the signal is never lost.
When does it happen? At the layer change? If so, have you changed any of the settings recently on your receiver/processor?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have an HK AVR 520 and a Panny CP-72 if I leave a DTS movie on pause for a while I will loose sound. The only way to get it back is to power cycle the 520. This doesn't happen with DD stuff.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There does not seem to be any method to why this happens, it is just losing sound for a second or two at a time. The signal is never lost from the receiver. Last night it sounded like the disk was skipping, I know it is not the disk, it has only been played a couple of times (LOTR).

I think the laser is misallingned or a chip is going bad.

This unit is 5 months old, and I don't think I should have to pay for it, I bought it a Ultimate Electronics, but they said yesterday, it would have to go to Panasonic. There is a 1 year parts and 90 day labor. It is $70 an hour to fix the player, so for two hours work, I would have (almost) bought a new one.

What to do?

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
a dirty lens??

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How can I clean it??

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
There is a lens cleaner disk for CD players, you might look around and see if that will work for a DVD player. The disk we have at work has small brushes attached to the disk.

Again this is just a long shot if it will fix the problem.

John

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
roger that! My father in-law has one. I will give it a shot. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried to blow out the dust in the DVD player last night using commpressed air (my lungs) and I played Gladiator during the fight sceen and it never skipped. Your theory may be right about the dust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.