AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone can help with a couple of questions I have regarding S-VHS VCRs. I've recently purchased the Mitsubishi HSU776, but since I've heard rave reviews of some JVC models, I'm wondering if I should take the Mitsu back. Anyone have any opinions?

Also, I had some S-VHS questions in general, since I'm a bit unfamiliar with these terms. What is the benefit of the flying erase head, and what does it do? What is the difference between the standard digital comb filter and a "3-D" digital comb filter - is the difference great? Finally, what does "time base correction (TBC)" mean?

Thanks for the assistance!

John

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
The flying erase head let's you record over previously recorded tape without the annoying rainbow effect you get for a few seconds at the starting point of the new recording over an existing recording - especially a useful feature when incuded in a camcorder...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I bought a Sharp SVHS deck back in June to go with my new Panny plasma. It was the one recco'd by consumer reports in their recent write-up, but I was very unhappy with what I saw on the plasma: Lots of noisy artifacts and very fragile sync on pause, slo mo etc.

I traded it for the JVC 7900 (one of the models with a good comb filter and digital time base corrector.) A comb filter seperates the chroma from the luminance signal to eliminate dot-crawl on colored objects. I couldn't describe the differences between various types of comb filters, but digital is better. A time base corrector is a circuit that analyses and adjusts the sync pulses on a picture to eliminate rolling, tearing and jitters. Until the past year or so, it was available only as a piece of rack-mounted gear for editing suites. JVC's addition of it to higher-end VHS machines is a big step up that hasn't received the notice it deserves.

In my case, the difference with the JVC is DRAMATIC. This machine puts ROCK-SOLID pause, slo-mo and scan on the plasma . . . better even than my 3/4" Sony U-matic. The picture using good tape is much, much better than the Sharp - not quite DVD quality, but about equal to a high-bandwidth SD signal from DBS. Certainly the best picture I've ever seen from VHS tape.

·
Registered
469 Posts
John: Although I don't believe that VHS and quality belong in the same sentence, I would take back the Mits and get the JVC. Mits doesn't support their products with parts after 7 years, their parts are too expensive and their units are overly complicated for their customers. Time Base Correctors used to be a separate unit that cost thousands of dollars by itself. Now you can get it built in to a $200.00 VCR. The Japanese are famous for this type of thing. The TBC is great because it makes the picture rock solid. The flying erase heads are great especially if you are doing editing. No more chroma effect because the erase heads are mounted on the head drum with the video and hifi audio heads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.