AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I want to add a 5.1 surround sound to my Samsung, but it seems like it's not a very easy task.

I currently have the following components hooked up to it:

PS3 via HDMI

Dish Network DVR via HDMI

Home Theater PC via VGA

I also have the Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers that I want to hook up to it. (It has an optical input for digital audio)

I want to use it for 5.1 Surround sound from all of my sources, except the HTPC, which I can live with stereo from it.

Seems like the easiest solution would be to connect the optical audio output from the TV to the surround sound. But I've heard that it either doesn't give all 5.1 channels or the timing is off from the TV (or both). So I'm guessing that's not an option.

How else can I set it up without buying an expensive receiver?

·
Registered
743 Posts
The TV will only pass 5.1 from the TV's tuner.

If you want 5.1 from all sources, buy a receiver. You do not need an expensive one though, as long as it has enough Optical inputs for your needs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I think I've figured out a way to do it. I can get a Creative Audigy sound card with the Digital I/O attachment (about $40 total for both) and use my computer to input the 5.1 from the DVR and PS3 and distribute the 5.1 to the speakers. The only thing is that I'm not sure if both ports can be input or is one input and the other output. If they both can be input, then I'm set. Has anybody used these before?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok guys. I feel dumb now. Evidently the Z-5500 has two digital audio inputs (one optical, one coax). So I'll just have to get an optical to coax converter for my DVR or PS3 since they both use optical. It also has a remote to control the volume and change the input, so I should be all set.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts