AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background. I bought my first projector, a new Sanyo Z60, before christmas. I picked it because my new house has a media room and the reviews said it was razor sharp but a bit dim. I mounted it dead center about 1.5 feet above the screen and 13 feet back. I mostly played DVD's and some games on it, but was noticing some pink tint on white text. When I finally got a pc hooked to it via HDMI, the calibration images looked pretty bad so I sent it back to sanyo.

In short, they called me and said it was "within spec" and sent it back, but noone else I show it to seems to think so. I need some opinions to use as ammo when I call them back. Any help would be appreciated.

Anyway here are the pics, note the massive blurry halo. (yes, this is what they really look like, my friend is a pro photographer):

Solid white screen (pink in the corner!?)

Convergence Lines

Convergence Banner

Red Blue and Green 2 pixel lines

Target

White Dots

Pixels - Blue Green Red Yellow Cyan Magenta White

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FYI, Here is the source of some of those images if someone wants to post theirs to compare. The rest are from passmark's monitor test.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
More than just pink, that image in the first photo shows blue toward the top left and pink toward the bottom right.

Sanyo says it's fine? What does your vendor say? I'd be calling both until you get a better machine.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
The chroma issue in the first picture looks pretty nasty on the right, not quite so bad in the bottom left. That alone would be enough to have me climbing the walls. If Sanyo isn't seeing that they must have Stevie Wonder working in the service center!

I would refer to Art's review of the Z60 at projectorreviews, specifically the image of Gandalf in the image quality section. He was seeing the same thing as you on a pre-production unit and it was bad enough that he asked Sanyo for another unit just to make sure this wouldn't be nearly as unacceptable on a retail version.

As for the convergence issues you're going to have them to some degree or another on just about every LCD PJ. The real question is whether it's objectionable from any kind of reasonable seating distance. I seem to have misplaced my glasses so it's hard for me to tell just how misconverged they are atm. The halos from the blue panel look pretty rough though.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Misconvergence:

Red is probably within spec - about 1 pixel.

Green and blue are not acceptable to me.

Color uniformity is pretty bad. Overall not something I'd accept.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Found my glasses. Rickster is definitely correct. If I was in your shoes I'd be on the phone with Sanyo right now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any idea why things have a massive glow? For misconvergance I thoguht I would see that the the blue squares would be slightly higher or left of the other squares, but still square. Why do i see a giant blue blob?

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalemangler /forum/post/15546664

Any idea why things have a massive glow? For misconvergance I thoguht I would see that the the blue squares would be slightly higher or left of the other squares, but still square. Why do i see a giant blue blob?

Sorry I don't feel I can give you a technically correct answer on why this is. Perhaps someone else can chime in?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Shaking head now...........so they had the machine in their hands and would not open it up to adjust and align the panels(which would solve the problem) and please their customer.......SHEEEEESH WHAT A [email protected]#%$%^^&&*&*bunch of idoits.

Sanyo was all ready off my list for the same no customer(BS) support back on the Z2 guess I'l just have to move them up to DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION NEVER TO BUY.

Sorry for the rant...back to something that might help you (USE your dealer,hopefully you have a good dealer to help you,get them involved now.

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
Whoa , that's horrible , I would demand a replacement and not take no for an answer .

- Jason

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
This is why I never buy Sanyo. Their customer service is garbage. They've been booted out of Big box stores for their terrible customer service and garbage reliability. Projectors are the only thing they have any credibility in - and they can't even treat this field right.

If you search, you'll find a hoard of people turned back by Sanyo.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I have a Z60 (got it last week). Last night I checked 100 percent white test pattern from the AVS709 calibration disc. I have not downloaded the test patterns you referenced but I might for the convergence. I had much better uniformity at 100 percent. Did you check 90 percent white and lower? I was curious if the contrast was set too high and it may be a result of one of the primaries clipping. On the convergence issue, I put up a checkered pattern and I could see some of the pixels were slightly off when I was about 1.5 FT away from the screen (92 IN screen). Once I got 2 to 3 FT back I could not see it anymore. On a slightly different note, I have noticed that black upto about 4 percent black has a slight blue color to it. Once I get upto about 5 percent the blue goes away. I am in the middle of adjusting gray scale using HCFR and an i1 probe. Since the probe is usually only accurate to about 10 percent black I can't really measure it. I was curious about the settings that you have the projector set to. Also, have you tried the Panel adjustment in the Settings menu. I kind of doubt that's what wrong but I was curious if you'd tried it.

Anyway, good luck with the phone call and I'll stay tuned to see what happens. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really havent touched anything. I am going off of the assumption that if I project a blue line that is 2 pixels tall, and I see a blue glow on top that is 4 pixels tall, there isnt much point to calibrating it. Am I incorrect in my assumption that I should be able to shine a blue square on the screen and actually see a blue square?

I would appreciate you downloadign that last pic as a bmp and full screen it (i used irfanview) and take a pic of some of those. If you want to make your own, I just opened up paint and set the attributes to 1280x720 and painted it black and drew some red blue and green patterns on there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will try those angryHT.

Update:

I called them, he read me the notes that it was the convergence was calibrated. I told him it was unacceptable and they agreed to take it back.

I then unmounted my projector and set it dead center on the screen to take away any lens shift. I projected some new images and it is pretty apparent what is wrong.

a) The 3 colors are not at the same focal length. I was able to focus one color at a time, but overall focus is more toward red (which is why blue has a huge halo)

b) the red pixels have green in them (hard to see from my crappy camera), this would not go away no matter what i did to any of the adjustments (gain, tint, color, etc)

c) BOTH red and green colors have a blue halo!?

Text test:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Here's mine using calman convergence pattern set to 1 line width. My video card was set to 1280 x 768. I'm not sure if there is a problem but blue looks a bit off. There might be a scaling issue, too.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
That's pretty crazy. When you say they're taking it back, do you mean they're taking it back for return or are they taking it back for repair?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I've got to say that looking at my photos compared to the actual screen, the photos look like they are exaggerate the blue. That said, that may explain why I get a slight bluish hue to the 100 percent black.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalemangler /forum/post/15558216

I will try those angryHT.

Update:

I called them, he read me the notes that it was the convergence was calibrated. I told him it was unacceptable and they agreed to take it back.

I then unmounted my projector and set it dead center on the screen to take away any lens shift. I projected some new images and it is pretty apparent what is wrong.

a) The 3 colors are not at the same focal length. I was able to focus one color at a time, but overall focus is more toward red (which is why blue has a huge halo)

b) the red pixels have green in them (hard to see from my crappy camera), this would not go away no matter what i did to any of the adjustments (gain, tint, color, etc)

c) BOTH red and green colors have a blue halo!?

If you are mounting the PJ dead center of the screen, aren't you using the vertical lens shift? I would think this projector would have a standard vertical offset like others.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts