Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am trying my best to determine whether the Panasonic 37PWD7UY or the 42PWD7UY will prove the better choice for my viewing distance. Having found this forum so full of differing opinions as to the "ideal" distance for any given model, I've been unable to discern any overall trend. Therefore, I'm hoping to narrow the focus of this thread to these 2 specific models (the HD models are too costly for me).

- from eyes --> screen: 88" (can be reduced to 84", but cannot be increased)

- centered at eye-level

- 50% DVD and 50% television (just basic Rogers cable through a VCR at this point)

Put simply, who among you would find the 42" model yields too much of a screen-door effect at 88"? Would you find cable television intolerable at that size? And do any of you 37" owners out there think 88" is too far away?

Please feel free to weigh in and cast your vote, so to speak. I've been unable to examine these models side-by-side here in Toronto, and I have only a very short time to make my final decision, so your input will be very much appreciated.

James

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
88" can be a bit too close for a 42" screen. If your vision is 20/20, you may experience some screen door effect (specially while watching SDTV). I suggest you to go with the 37" on this case.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick feedback. I am in fact tentatively in favour of the 37" as well as you both are, but I'm still going to take another quick look at Panny's 42" consumer model at Futureshop for confirmation. Maybe I'll bring my VCR along! (that outta raise some eyebrows).

·
Registered
71 Posts
How "bad" is the SDE on a 42 inch from 7 feet? (I understand it's partially subjective)

My viewing distance to my soon to be replaced 27'' RCA tube is 7 feet and I'm considering the 42inch Panny. Although I know I should consider the 37'' the decision for me is between the 42 Panny or the 34XBR960 tube set.

Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
51 Posts
regardless of SDE.

It's all about you and what you like and want. If your heart was set at 42" and you get the 37", you'll kick yourself for not getting the 42".

I just ordered mine 42" Panny and can't wait for it to come. It's also going in my master bedroom too!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
My viewing distance is 84". I took a tape measure to the store and did a side by side comparison at that distance. I wound up buying the 37".

·
Registered
71 Posts
At the local BB I've paced off my approximate viewing distance from the 6th gen consumer Panny they sell and I've liked the pq but we all know the view in the store can quite different than viewing at home.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks folks,

I dropped in to Kromer Radio, where they were very accommodating in allowing me to hook up my own DVD player to both models, and they even had a basic cable feed there, which was helpful. I have selected the 37".

Regular television was noticeably cleaner on the smaller screen, especially when stretched to fill the 16:9 shape. Furthermore, if I want a more immersive picture for the movies, I can always shift my couch forward 8 inches or so (it slides easily on the wood floor), which would yield an image size equal to that of the 42" from my normal seating position. It might not be quite as good acoustically from there, but I don't mind, since I'd only do it occasionally. With the 42", I'd be choiceless.

Oh yeah... I too was considering Sony's tube HDTV, but there were several reasons I rejected it, the biggest ones having to do with its massive bulk. That too was a difficult decision, and I'm not entirely certain it was the correct one. The difference in resolution is huge.

Oh well... I guess it won't matter one iota once those those fancy lightweight, flexible roll-out wall-sized home theater televisions start appearing on the shelves of Radio Shack! (here's hoping)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.