AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I am helping a friend build a surround sound system and need some help. He wants to purchase a receiver that will allow him to move into Blu-Ray gradually (DTS-HD, etc; no THX necessarily required) and either have zone capabilities or Pre-Outs so he can add an external amp for other zones.

I am thinking about a 6.1 setup, not only for cost reasons, but because 7.1 really hasn't caught on yet.

He wants to have 4 zones: The theater (6 speakers), the kitchen (2 speakers), the bathroom (1 speaker), and the back porch (2 - 3 speakers).

The budget for the amp is about $1,200. I am a big fan of Yamaha amps, but am open to all suggestions. The amp needs some HDMI 1.3 inputs/outputs, as well as some TOSLINK inputs and outputs. He doesn't necessarily need HDMI upscaling, but then again, this feature seems to come with every Amp these days.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quick questions: Do you need 4 discrete zones? Or can the main zone play one source, and all others play the same second source? You are going to have a very tough time finding 4 zones in any price range, the flagship Denon has 4 discrete zones. But retails for $5,200.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sometimes when people say "zones" they really mean separate sets of speakers in different rooms, playing the same audio content. Real discrete zones (as in that flagship Denon) can play different audio content simultaneously, and from different sources. E.g. Somebody watching a movie in the home theater, and somebody else listening to the tuner out on the porch.

If all you need is 4 rooms worth of sound playing the same audio content, then a set of seperate amps may do the trick. Most have cascade jacks on them to allow you run the RCA outs from your receiver's pre-amp into an external amplifier, then out of that external amplifier into another, and another and so forth.

Greg

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong /forum/post/14169551

Sometimes when people say "zones" they really mean separate sets of speakers in different rooms, playing the same audio content. Real discrete zones (as in that flagship Denon) can play different audio content simultaneously, and from different sources. E.g. Somebody watching a movie in the home theater, and somebody else listening to the tuner out on the porch.

If all you need is 4 rooms worth of sound playing the same audio content, then a set of seperate amps may do the trick. Most have cascade jacks on them to allow you run the RCA outs from your receiver's pre-amp into an external amplifier, then out of that external amplifier into another, and another and so forth.

Greg

After seeing my friend's house tonight, we need multiple zones. The zones are as follows:

1.) Theater / Den

2.) Kitchen / Bar

3.) Outdoor Porch

4.) Bathroom 1

5.) Bathroom 2

If they throw a house party, the music may likely be pumping throughout the house. However, they need true zones (different sources playing in different rooms). Some zones (bathrooms) can be combined. My friends are big on sports and will likely have a TV on the outdoor porch and would probably want to watch separate games on each TV.

I don't know of a receiver than can handle something like this. To me, it would appear that they need an extra amp.

If there is no cost effective way, we can begin to lower the zones. I could lower the zones to 3 if needed:

1.) Theater

2.) Kitchen / Outdoor Porch

3.) Bathrooms

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sounds like they might need multiple receivers. The clincher is the requirement of being able to have different audio content playing in different places.

The first thing that comes to mind is a "house" system 70 volt line amp with a rheostat in each room and ceiling mounted speakers. You could turn them on/off and adjust the volume as appropriate in each room.

The theater is probably going to require it's own receiver, with a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker arrangement. By the time you hook up a 5.1 on most receivers there will only be two speakers left over for a Zone 2. If you hook up 7.1, there is NO Zone 2 capability.

The TV on the porch has it's own speakers. For background listening on the porch, you could install outdoor 70v speakers and controls to tap into the house line system.

Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts