AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This week I bought a used Denon 2310 for 200 euros and found out that HDMI 1.3 is quite useless.

My TV is a Panasonic ST60.

Now I have a couple of options and I'm kind of lost right now:

- keep it and use it just as Audio Receiver

- keep it and route HDMI via AVR even though it has no ARC or 3D (what are the advantages of this?)

- sell it again for prob about the same amount and get another used one with HDMI 1.4 (which models/brands do you like? Onkyo 414 - 616 I'm seeing for around 200)

- sell it again for prob about the same amount and get an older but better 5.1 amp without HDMI (i saw Marantz 8500 for 200, is that an improvement?)

these points matter a lot to me I think:

ideally the new one would be a bit less high so it fits in my 6"/15cm closet space

and it would switch on and off together with my TV.

I do movies and music about 50/50 but care more about music.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xill  /t/1520588/need-help-selecting-alternative-avr#post_24428930

This week I bought a used Denon 2310 for 200 euros and found out that HDMI 1.3 is quite useless.

My TV is a Panasonic ST60.

Well not totally useless - really only missing 3D and the ARC. My ARC was giving me so much trouble, with the receiver being instructed to do random things, picture, and/or sound dropping out, etc, that I disabled it and go with an optical connection from my TV to my receiver if I ever want to use the TV to stream. I got a roku to do that anyway, it's better than the TV streamer.

Nice TV btw!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I'm not clear on what the advantages of routing HDMI are when not having ARC or automatic on/off link.

I bought Cambridge 30S as backspeakers that are acting frontspeakers right now.

If anyone has a good matching frontspeaker (floorstand prob.) suggestion, it is more than welcome as well!

·
Registered
553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xill  /t/1520588/need-help-selecting-alternative-avr#post_24432133

I'm not clear on what the advantages of routing HDMI are when not having ARC or automatic on/off link.

Just convenience - single cable for audio and video - and the ability to carry the latest greatest lossless audio formats (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA), 3D video, 1080p and possibly 4k resolution video. Plus ARC, but that does seem to cause problems with some equipment. TBH it seems like a half baked technology to me - I don't ever remember so many failures, handshake issues, audio and videop drop outs, etc, with previous technologies such as componenet video and optical/coax digital audio. A lot devices have stopped offering the old technologies now though, so often you have no choice other than to go HDMI, (eg roku is HDMI only, most cheap BD players have an hdmi port and not much else, maybe an optical digital port).

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xill  /t/1520588/need-help-selecting-alternative-avr#post_24432133

I bought Cambridge 30S as backspeakers that are acting frontspeakers right now.

If anyone has a good matching frontspeaker (floorstand prob.) suggestion, it is more than welcome as well!

Cambridge S70 for the L/R fronts and the S50 for the center.

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/s70-floorstanding-loudspeaker

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/s50-centre-speaker

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I think I will get some more expensive and used fronts (around 500 euro for a used pair).

Not sure about getting a center speaker, have not had the best experience... is this ludicrous?

Still looking for opinions on what to do with the receiver.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xill  /t/1520588/need-help-selecting-alternative-avr#post_24437430

I think I will get some more expensive and used fronts (around 500 euro for a used pair).

Not sure about getting a center speaker, have not had the best experience... is this ludicrous?

Still looking for opinions on what to do with the receiver.

You need that center speaker. Most of dialog will come from them. Not sure what you mean about poor experience with a center speaker. Connect all your speakers to the AVR, run Eq program and it will detect all connected speakers. I can't imagine my setup without a center speaker. The best setup is matching the front three speakers, a good subwoofer and then the surrounds. Smaller speakers from the same brand work seamlessly for the rears. As for the AVR I would not recommend an Onkyo still having HDMI board problems. Yamaha and Marantz would be my choices first. As high up the model line you can afford. Better eq methods and options.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.