AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Sony 50" LCD and a sammy 351 HD receiver... I tried a terk Satellite mounted antenna but got nothing at all... I then got a set top interior antenna and I'm getting 4 channels but not all of the ones in my area...

I live in a low rise condo building in the middle of Atlanta 30306 I have access to the roof to place an antenna but it must look nice :)

There is one other consideration the only way I have to get the signal back down to my TV is to combines it with a D*TV feed and then split it once it get to the TV

I found these three antennas that all look nice but I was wondering which is the best of the three or is there another antenna that I should look at??

TDP MX1405

TDP MX1500

Non-amplified Sensar Antenna

any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Worry more about how it looks on TV not what the ant looks like.

·
Registered
38 Posts
warrenelectronics.com

Winegard Square Shooter model ss1000. This antenna will not disappoint if you live within 30 miles of the broadcasting towers. I got mine for $108 shipped and delivered next day, only because the dealer was located a couple hours south of Milwaukee. Let me just say this.......the square shooter will not disappoint. Digital reception is unbelievable and even analog channels come in beautifully as well. Most of all, it looks good...a lot better than a 7ft wide antenna with a million fringes and 9ft tall. This antenna only has a foot print the size of a regular sat dish. The Super Bowl couldn't have looked any sharper on my Hitachi 50v500 with the help of this antenna.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tvxiong
The Super Bowl couldn't have looked any sharper on my Hitachi 50v500 with the help of this antenna.
tvxiong- I too am a new 50v500 owner, but I did not have the luxury of watching the big game in HD. Currently, I have Charter's HD service...5 channels, but only one network (NBC) in HD....after suffering through the super bowl in SD, even my wife, who is now a spoiled HD brat, was saying "this sucks!" So, now I'm on the search for a OTA HD receiver and an antenna that will work and pass the wife inspection.

glad to hear you are having good results with the square shooter. can you provide further details, such as how far away are the towers for the stations you receive? are you receiving VHF or only UHF stations? where have you mounted the antenna? do you have direct line of sight to the tower(s)?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am not sure that it is "pretty" enough, but I would recommend that you take a look at the Radio Shack UHF 75 antenna. It is about $25 bucks or so and I had to aim it, but I was able to pull in a station approx. 90 miles away for superbowl HDTV.

·
Registered
38 Posts
BenHur.....I'm not sure about the curb appeal or wife approval of your Radio Shack antenna vs the Winegard Square Shooter SS1000. IMO, the smaller the foot print of the antenna the better, especially if the antenna works great too. If you live out in the boonies and need to pull in a signal that is 90 miles away, then maybe the radio shack antenna might be a viable solution. But if you're in the city or suburbs of a metropolitan area (under 40 miles), then I think you can't beat the performance of the the square shooter.

·
Registered
38 Posts
BDouble.....I just got my 50v500 for christmas too. I've never watched so much tv in my life before. The Super Bowl was awesome by all means. CBS does a great job with their Live HD feed.

Here's my setup.....I initially bought a open box Zenith HDV420 OTA HD receiver from Circuit City for $219 w/full warranty. The receiver does a great job with OTA HD feeds from local channels. Depending on where you live in the city, rabbit ears might do just fine. It did for me, but I didn't want an ugly rabbit ear antenna sitting next to a 2500 dollar hdtv. The only downfall of this receiver is NO DVI output, only component. However, LG has a new model out LST-3100A that has DVI output which can be had for under 350. Zenith and LG boxes are identical in design and performance. The HDV420 was last year's model for Zenith and the LST 3100A is the new current model for LG, hence the dvi output. I live in a 2 story colonial house, so I mounted the square shooter on the side of my roof pointing towards the direction of the towers. The antenna is mounted about 9ft high. My neighbor's house is a flat ranch style house so I had a clear path at just 9ft high. The higher you mount the antenna, the stronger your signal will be. Anyhow, my wife came to me one day and said, "What is the point of having this HDTV if you only have a handful of local channels to watch?" So I was given the green light to search for the best satelite deal. Cable was way too expensive 60+ per month.

hdtvpackage.com/hdtv/ Put the WWWs in front of the link. I can't seem to post urls yet. Dish has an offer for a free HD receiver system and satelite if you sign up for 1 year. Here's the catch, you need to suscribe to the HD package (espnhd, HDNET, HDNET movies, Discovery HD) for 9.99/month. On top of that you just need to suscribe to any of the programming packages they have, the cheapest being AMerica's top 50 channels for 24.99/month. You also get the first 4 months of America's top 100 package for a free trial. So for the first 4 months, it's just 9.99 per month out of your pocket. After that you need to pay the minumum of 24.99 for the america's top 50 plus the 9.99 for the hd package for the remainder of the 8 months. Installation is free aswell. The receiver you get is the new 811 from JVC 399 dollars. It has both DVI and component outputs. It can also decode OTA HD signals from local broadcasting channels. One note, if any local stations broadcast their digital signal on channel 1, then you won't be able to watch that channel on the 811 receiver because Dish programmed channel 1 for use with a video input on the back of the receiver. For example, my local CBS transmit their digital feed on channel 46, but it is then broadcasted on channel 1. This is the only set back about this receiver. It cost about the same as the LG3100st I mentioned above, but does double duty of both Satelite HD and OTA HD. I eventually went with this offer from Dish because Direct tv had nothing comparable. Direct tv's pricing were much higher and their HD capable equipment was NOT FREE. Although Direct tv does have have better hd receivers and more selection in terms of equipment, i.e Sony, LG, Zenith, Samsung to Hughes. LG LSS-3200A and Zenith HD-SAT520 are probably the best valued if you should go that route. The same LG chasis is used to make the Zenith, Sony and Hughes. Sony is way over priced at 700. Both LG and Zenith can be had for under 550 if you find the right dealer on the internet. In any regards, IMO the Dish offer is still hard to beat and is the best deal. Remember, don't suscribe to local channel package from Dish or Direct tv because they are not the HD feed. Do your research and see what fits you best. The HD picture quality on the 50v500 will blow you away.

·
Registered
38 Posts
BDouble....I forgot to mention that the towers are no more than 10-15 miles from where I live. I am able to get both UHF and VHF channels.

check out this link for more info on square shooter.
winegard.com/other/presspdf/SquareShooter%20Press%20Release.pdf

Once again, put the www's in the beginning. Even analog signals come in clean for me. This is a directional antenna so point it to the general direction of the broadcasting towers. Too bad you are way down in B'Ham or else I would extend an invatation for you to come on over and check out my setup. Listen BDouble, the 1 year suscription to DISH is less than what you would pay for a stand alone OTA HD Receiver. When you cancel DISH, you can still use the receiver for OTA HD decoding. Can't go wrong with that. Somehow I seem to get better signal strength with my JVC Dish 811 receiver than with my Zenith HDV420 receiver using the same square shooter. All the signal strength comes in around 90%+ on the 811 receiver.

·
Registered
93 Posts
tvxiong- thanks for the response. I tried Charter initially because it was the lowest investment and effort route to HD for me since I was a current subscriber anyways. So, for 10 bucks a month I was able to add HBO, Showtime, Discovery, and NBC in HD. But, I have quickly run out of patience with the lack of local channels in HD on Charter.

I am currently teetering between 2 options. one is to go the Dish route that you described...I have a friend at work that is supposed to get his DISH system installed this week along with a new antenna for local channels. If he has success, I will probably go that route. the main downside with this option is that you have to commit for 12 months. I also have to see what will happen to my Charter-provided internet service when I cancel their cable tv service. not sure about that.

The other option is to stay with Charter and get an LG LST-3510A to get more local channels in HD. the 3510A is a combo 3100A HD receiver and DVD player that upscales 480i to 720p or 1080i and outputs thru DVI. It also acts as a DVI switch between OTA TV and DVD. As you know, the 50v500 only has one DVI input, so by using the 3510A, I would be able to play both dvd's and hdtv over dvi connection without buying a separate switch. This is a plus....obviously the downside is additional investment in equipment plus charter's service is more expensive on a monthly basis.

as is always the case with choices, there are always trade-offs. I will be pulling the trigger one way or the other soon....after all March Madness is right around the corner :p

as far as the antenna situation.....I am 15 miles from the towers here in b'ham, so I'm guessing that it shouldn't be too hard to find an antenna that will work. the key for me is to find something easy to install that won't be an eyesore...and of course 'reasonably' priced. many on avsforum are negative on the square shooter because you have to pay "too much" extra for the form factor. In my mind if it works and it looks comparitavely good, then 100 bucks is not that much to spend. I will do some more research on this, but the square shooter is definitely high on the list .

·
Registered
38 Posts
BDouble....

I don't understand some people's way of thinking sometime.....It's like they are quick to spend $3000-5000 on a nice HDTV, but are also quick to bark at an antenna that has a measley price of $100? That doesn't make sense. If you can afford the $3000 tv, is it going to hurt your wallet anymore by purchasing a nice looking antenna for $100? Give me a BREAK! Anyhow, I have the antenna and it works great + looks good too.

You've narrowed down some really good options. I did see that LG combo unit you are talking about. Seems like a heck of a product, too. I've yet to find anyone in my area that has that unit or the other LG units for sale or display. You know what, the 12 month commitment with DISH is nothing. You get the first 4 months free so it actually comes down to more like 8 months. After that, it's on a month to month basis. Think of it this way, if you commit to the DISH plan, you're still going to pay less than you would for a stand alone OTA receiver like the LG LST-3510A you mentioned. In the end, you still come out on top. Besides, it's like stretching that payment for the receiver over 8 months. Can't beat that? I've got the DISH setup and couldn't be more happier, despite the CBS channel 1 issue.

I know what you mean about having just 1 DVI input on this tv. That's something we have to live with for buying the first year production model. I'll just have to invest in a DVI switcher down the road if that becomes a problem. For now, 1 dvi input is good enough for me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
tvxiong- sounds like we are on the same page regarding antenna investment relative to tv investment. the friend I mentioned who has just gotten DISH installed also bought a square shooter....he is 40 miles from the towers for local channels. he is going to install it this weekend, if it works for him at 40 miles out, that will probably seal the deal with me regarding the square shooter.

after discussing with a few more folks, I'm leaning heavily towards DISH...just need to sort out the internet service with Charter...then I will pull the trigger.

then I can spend the money saved by going with DISH on some other new toys :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.