AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 14 x 20 ft. media room that has no windows at all and is completely dark. In the process of building. I will be installing a F-16 falcon cockpit simulator in the room. 75% of my time will be used in the simulator which will be driven by a PC, using simulator software similar to Microsoft Flight sim 2002.

The other 25% of the time will be spent watching DVD's (used as normal home theatre)

I am so confused as which projector to get. Some say go for 2000 lumens, some say go for contrast, some say don't get a business projector like Infocus etc.

I am over researched I am now totally confused.

Do I need to get a Cinema projector or a office type projector to have the best of both worlds, PC and Theater.

My budget is up to $3,500

Any thoughts on

Optoma EzPro 737 (1,500 lumens / 1,500:1 contrast)

MSRP 4,999 have found under $3,000

or Boxlite Cinema 17SF (1,000 lumens / 1,000:1 contrast)

Thanks so much!

1) What is my best bet for contrast and Lumens.

2) Any model suggestions?

Thanks so much!

:)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Awesome, that would be good fun in the living room. I'd be thinking that for 75% PC use, you would be better off with a projector suited more to business than home theatre. I would think brightness and clarity should be more important than contrast in your application.

Can't really suggest brands, just make sure the unit is good for PC work (many home cinema models are not.)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
graemeg,

Is this for your own amusement? Or is this a business?

The reason that I ask is that most of the flight simulator companies have standardized on the same hardware choices for their "out the window" sim set-ups. It's almost universally a Barco 9" CRT onto a rear projection screen, or more recently, a high resolution LCOS digital projector onto a rear projection screen. From what I understand, DLP was determined to be too tiring for long viewing in a flight sim environment.

If it's for your personal use, you should be OK, but you might want to look at LCOS projectors as well. The Hitachi 5500 is just under $5K.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello,

I myself own the piano 3200 and do play flight simulator on it. Only issue is that I dont' play all that much on it because the bulbs are expensive. However, the piano is a great projector. If you can get by with the bulb limitations and the fact you have a dark room, plus with your budget, I would think a piano would fit your needs well.

Charles

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just wondering what res you are planning to play at? Does your sim let set non standard resolutions? For computer gaming you want a pretty long bulb life and definitly not any of the current single chip DLP units (yes you WILL get fatigued sooner than with a non-dlp unit). For cost I will consider the HS10. For bulb life the Pana's 100-300 are still the champs, they bulbs last ~5000 hrs, and cost around $200 direct from panasonic. In other words its operating cost is almost 4 times cheaper. Just before you by, try out what ever res your planning to play at (toggle on AA and and the whistles for lower res), the pansonics are of course only about WVGA resolution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will be playing at 1024x768. What causes fatigue in a DLP vs. a non DLP? I assume this is eye fatigue you are referring to? I have talked to a few manufac. reps and they all seem puzzled when I mention fatigue in the context of a DLP. They all claim to have never heard that.

THX.

·
Registered
670 Posts
If you are in a dark room you can get by with less lumens.

I have an LT150 and do not notice any more fatigue than with the 17" CRT I used to play games on. I do see DLP "rainbows" but they don't seem to phase me. YMMV.

Bulbs are relatively expensive, about 35 cents an hour for the LT150. But if you put some money in a cup before you get ready to play, you will never miss it.

I dont know anything specific about either model you mention except that the specs meet or exceed what I have, which is totally acceptable in a light-controlled room.

Good luck with the cockpit,

Gerald

·
Registered
660 Posts
I can't believe I'm saying this, but you might want to consider the Philips bSure XG1 (LC3141). It's got the best colors I've ever seen from a Philips-built pj, is XGA native, has a 3000 hour lamp (at full brightness - 1200 Alm), and is very quiet - 29 dBA, again at full brightness.

Philips finally seems to have tamed the "green monster" that plagued their lower-end projectors in the past. They have also added separate Red, Green, and Blue color adjustments in the menu. Plus you get a decent warranty with 3 yrs. parts & labor and 1 yr. of overnighted loaner coverage.

The SVGA version is identical except it has a 6000 hour lamp and only 27 dBA fan noise at 1200 Alm.

These (of course) are the budget solutions...as noted, most simulators use 9" CRT Barcos, partly because of the 0.8:1 lenses available. Now that 0.8:1 and 0.9:1 lenses are becoming available for mid-range LCD pj's, that might change rapidly. Of course the 10,000+ hour life expectency for CRT's is still impossible to beat.

·
Registered
80 Posts
First, I would check to see what resolutions your Flight Sim will support. If it can output a wide screen, not just stretching but true WXGA, then that will be a factor of your pj. If it only outputs regular 4:3, then I wouldn't go with any of the WXGA projectors. I wouldn't go with anything less than XGA if you want to display the best image.

I wouldn't worry too much about contrast, I don't think you need realistic blacks on a flight sim. I would go for more lumens, because you will probably want a bit of lighting (I'd go for true night combat red light!) to see your controls, and you'll want to overcome that, plus you'd also want to be able to project a really large image.

Are there any flight sims that support dual (or triple!) monitors? Now that would be cool, get more than one pj, and fill up an entire room! Or alternatively, put the gauges on a small LCD close by, and fill the entire pj image with the outside world.

Now I'm intrigued and want to go look at flight sims for my PJ. Of course I have to build an HTPC first...

Ed

·
Registered
670 Posts
Quote:
Are there any flight sims that support dual (or triple!) monitors? Now that would be cool, get more than one pj, and fill up an entire room! Or alternatively, put the gauges on a small LCD close by, and fill the entire pj image with the outside world
A buddy of mine who is way more into it than I am does this for some of his instrumentation. I think it is addon software for FS2002.

One thing we have been batting about lately is getting one of the matrox parhelia cards that have 3 heads and building a rear-projection triptych arrangement. The unknown is how readily the software can be convinced to output to this kind of setup.

Gerald

-who just found out that coordinated turns have nothing to do with chewing gum.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Gerald,

If you "train" for hours on end, just be sure to get a good long demo of any projector you are considering. Some people have some problems with certain technologies. Unfortunately, I'm one of them.

Just get a good demo, or make sure your dealer has a reasonable return policy and you should be fine.

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.