AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made a couple of changes to my home entertainment system and need some advice. Thanks in advance for any information/advice you may have to offer.

I just purchased a Samsung 61 DLP HDTV model # HLS6187WX I also just subscribed to Brighthouse Network and have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR which was supplied by them. It has several outputs, SVideo, optical audio out (which is currently feed to my Yahama RX-V2095 AV Receiver), digital audio out, HDMI which I have hooked up to the Samsung 61 TV Input, OUT2 L/R Video,OUT1 L/R, Pr (red) Pb (blue) Video Yv (Green) (RBG I think that is called component).

It has been 8 or 9 years since I did any real research in this area and a lot of technology has come into play since then and has me confused. I realize that currently HD DVD Recorders are non existent or very expensive at this time so I guess a regular DVD recorder/player is probably the unit for me.

I have a couple of things I want to do and don't really know which equipment would be needed to make my goals happen.

1. I would like to record programs stored on the 8300HD DVR to a DVD Recorder/Player. I am told that (component inputs) on the Recorder/Player would be a plus. Also, I see that some of the new DVD recorder/players have an upconvert option which can help in providing a better picture on regular DVD's. I also see where some the DVD Recorders record different formats like DL R+ - and which adds confusion to the selection process.

2. I would also like to archive some of my old VHS tapes to DVD format and hoped that the DVD Recorder/Player selected for item 1 would also be able to accomplish this process. I have a couple of older Mitsubishi VCR's HS-U575 and HS-U540. These units don't a SVideo connection on them and I don't know if they would be useful in this operation of if I should get a different VCR, maybe even a new DVD/VCR Combo Recorder/Player.

Your suggestions on the brand and model number of the items I might consider for purchase to accomplish these objectives would be greatly appreciated. Also, any information on how these would be hooked up to my system would be appreciated.

I know I have covered a lot of ground here but this decision is not as simple as it was years ago when you just went out a purchased a VCR.

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Most DVD Recorders do not have Component Video inputs. But all that I've seen have S-Video and Composite Video inputs. So you will most likely be recording from your STB via S-Video and analog stereo audio. It only gets interesting when you want to record some 16:9 material from the STB, most STBs letterbox it to fit in a 4:3 frame, this results in poor recordings especially if you want to watch them on a 16:9 display. There are many threads about this issue.

Setting aside the 16:9 problem, any recorder will handle your requirements. I tend to recommend the Pioneer 640, a favorite of this Forum. I have the Pioneer 633 and it is the best of four models I've acquired over the years.

Your requirements are not unusual. In one sense, DVD Recorders work just like VCRs. If you can imagine a VCR meeting your needs (other than the recording medium), a DVD Recorder will do at least that. The big extra is the HDD on models such as the Pioneer 640, allowing editing of programs prior to committing to DVD. This feature I highly recommend.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Your point #2: A composite (yellow-red-white) cable from your vcr output to a dvd-r input, and you should be set. An S-VHS vcr isn't going to make s-vhs quality out of a vhs tape, and numerous reports are that a dvd recording is at least as good as the original tape.

It is also pretty generally recommended to get an hdd recorder rather than one without. The Pioneer 640 has an excellent reputation on this forum, and I think a lot of power at a pretty reasonable price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.