AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(First post, so bear with me)

Hey all, I'm looking to put together my first AV system, and I need a ton of help. My space is the biggest limiting factor (college apartment, in the DC area), and after that I don't have a monstrous budget (I don't have a super strong grasp on it yet, and I have a feeling its going to be strongly dependent upon what I learn here). Going in, I have basically nothing. I do have a fantastic computer that I built, an Xbox 360, and a decent 1080p 32 inch Panasonic TV, which is more than enough for my intimate space.

My first inclination was to just get a pair of really nice book shelf speakers and a decent receiver as a start, and when more space/money/time/knowledge arrives later, I can just add components.

What other info should I share about my goals to help make progress? Also, I'd much rather spend a fair bit more now on the receiver and speakers then having to replace them. I have no clue how much high quality equipment costs--lets throw a broad range of $500 to $2000 as reasonable for my 3 proposed pieces of equipment (or whatever you'd suggest otherwise).

Either tell me what more info I need to supply you with, or throw some suggestions back at me. Thanks all!

EDIT: Also, I'm an engineering student, so I'm more than happy mod or work on the equipment, and have a full machine shop to play with...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts