AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would really appreciate opinions on the ideal receiver that's on the market for around $1k (could be convinced to go a bit higher).

I own the Rocket 550-Ultra package, a Klipsch-10 sub, and a Samsung HLN-5065.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Depends on your room size and power needs/wants. Two of the current darlings being discussed are the Denon 3803 for $800ish and the Pioneer 55TXi for $1100 or so. Many like the HK's and for a few more $$ take a look at the Rotel 1055 @ $1299 retail

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have an H/K 525 powering a Rocket Ultra 550 beautifully. If you like high volume levels you can always go for the H/K 7200 for around $1000.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The viewing area right now isn't that big, probably about 20 ft x 20ft.

I'll move soon to a larger area.

I'm seeing the Denon 4802R on Ebay for around $1500. Is that overkill for this set-up or a worthwhile investment? I'm using it primarily for HT.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The HK 525 sucks for anything with digital signals. I have HDTV and it sucks watching TV with it. If you use it for music and movies then you are fine. The delay to decode the digital signal is too long. Go for an Elite. Much better in that regard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have the HD package from Direct TV and an XBOX, both of which I use a lot. Do these play a substantial factor in making a decision?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have the same. It won't affect the X-box but HDTV on DirecTV sucks when you switch channels going from non HD to HD channels or vice versa. Someone will be talking and you miss some of it from the delay in audio. Very annoying to me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by smb101
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have the HD package from Direct TV and an XBOX, both of which I use a lot. Do these play a substantial factor in making a decision?
I think that statement is a little harsh...I do think the 2-3 second delay between dig and analog signals is a little annoying...I also dont like the fact that the reciever wont convert rca or s-vid inputs into the component output but these are minor annoying things and I wouldnt say the 525 sux because of it.

Ive have not demo'd too many recievers, but Im sure alot of them have the same delay between different signals

·
Registered
105 Posts
hk 7200 around $1000-$1100. enough current to choke a rino.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Suggest that you check out the new Harman/Kardon AVRs, AVR 430 and AVR 630 just demoed @ CEDIA, 430 is $899 and 630 is $1099. They will include the new Dolby HeadPhone, Dolby Virtual, upgradeable to Dolby Digital 7.1, DTS 96/24, AV Sync Delay, RS 232 control and LCD remote control. Also they have a great new, look with a larger BLUE FL display.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by M Code
Suggest that you check out the new Harman/Kardon AVRs, AVR 430 and AVR 630 just demoed @ CEDIA, 430 is $899 and 630 is $1099. They will include the new Dolby HeadPhone, Dolby Virtual, upgradeable to Dolby Digital 7.1, DTS 96/24, AV Sync Delay, RS 232 control and LCD remote control. Also they have a great new, look with a larger BLUE FL display.
got any pictures?

also a quick question b/c i havent done any research on h/k in a while -- i know they used to have quality control problems, but from what ive read on these forums it seems h/k receivers are among the faves...am i correct to assume that h/k has solved their quality control issues?

·
Registered
105 Posts
everything i've read says the QC problems have been fixed ( i hope so...i own a HK7200) but that doesn't mean that you will be problem free with any particular receiver.

·
Registered
60 Posts
what are the pros/cons for each one?

i see the denon states 110 watts per channel while the hk has 70

denon i can get from goodguys for $999 - 10%

hk i see at crutchfield for $999

are those the best prices?

·
Registered
105 Posts
you can get the HK525 for $611 at onecall.com, they are factory authorized. the HK might have a lower watt rating but is under rated. should compare very well with the denon (trying to be civil). shop the internet, you can find better prices than crutchfield by far.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by goodrich
you can get the HK525 for $611 at onecall.com, they are factory authorized. the HK might have a lower watt rating but is under rated. should compare very well with the denon (trying to be civil). shop the internet, you can find better prices than crutchfield by far.
yeah the only reason i was on crutchfield was b/c they have both the denon 1600 dvd player and the panasonic rp91, and was trying to decide between the two

and as for denon 3803, that was a recommendation froma while ago as a match to boston acoustics speakers...of course given that i dont have the speakers and cannot get the ones i want (vr965 etc have been discontinued) i dont necessarily need the denon anymore

ive always liked the hk style anyways...and the looks of a product do factor into my purchases. which is why i am interested in seeing these newly announced hks :)

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wuhoo
got any pictures?

also a quick question b/c i havent done any research on h/k in a while -- i know they used to have quality control problems, but from what ive read on these forums it seems h/k receivers are among the faves...am i correct to assume that h/k has solved their quality control issues?
Do a search, somebody already posted some pictures from CEDIA. The new look is a black window but the lower panel is silver with a drop down door. A few years back, Harman/Kardon AVRs were built by the Sherwood factory there were reliability issues, but for the last few years since they are now designing and building their own unique AVRs they hold up very well.

The one thing I like about Harman/Kardon is that they honestly rate their amplifiers. Virtually every other AVR brand rates their products with smoke/mirrors. they make claims of 100W/channel yet when reviewed they measure

·
Registered
105 Posts
best receiver for the money...hands down!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.