Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I just purchased a Sony D50 CRT pj and am now in search of a 92" or 108" screen.

Here's the details...I'll mostly be watching movies via dvd or cable and possible may upgrade to HD cable in the future. I need something that is manually retractable as it is going in a rec room not a dedicated HT...Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
More specifically, is this a lighter colored room or darker? Are there windows and if so are they covered? Is the projector floor or ceiling mounted?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi, I guess I'll piggyback off this thread instead of creating a whole new one since I have a similar inquiry.

I have an Infocus SP4805 that I will probably ceiling mount. I have white walls and one window which can be covered. It will be used mostly for watching DVDs and probably some sports. I care more about getting great film-like quality than a very bright and poppy plasma-like picture. At first, I was very interested in the Optoma Graywolf since I'd prefer a grey screen for the improved contrast (not to mention the price was right), but since it is retro-reflective, it doesn't particularly suit ceiling mounted pjs (even though I've read a number of posts in the Graywolf thread from people who ceiling mount who are happy with the results).

So, basically, is there any screen out there that's comparable to the Graywolf, except suited better for ceiling mounted projectors?

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irallamecniv
Hi, I guess I'll piggyback off this thread instead of creating a whole new one since I have a similar inquiry.

I have an Infocus SP4805 that I will probably ceiling mount. I have white walls and one window which can be covered. It will be used mostly for watching DVDs and probably some sports. I care more about getting great film-like quality than a very bright and poppy plasma-like picture. At first, I was very interested in the Optoma Graywolf since I'd prefer a grey screen for the improved contrast (not to mention the price was right), but since it is retro-reflective, it doesn't particularly suit ceiling mounted pjs (even though I've read a number of posts in the Graywolf thread from people who ceiling mount who are happy with the results).

So, basically, is there any screen out there that's comparable to the Graywolf, except suited better for ceiling mounted projectors?
The HCMW from Dalite is similar. It is a 1.1 gain gray screen. This is going to help with the brightness, as well as the black levels. It is angular reflective as well, so for a ceiling mount it would actually be likely brighter than the Graywolf on a ceiling mount. If you want the vibrancy, the Hi Power (though retro as well) is a great option. It is very bright and punchy and many have liked the results of that.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i also second the da lite hcmw screen for above applications. its great with even some ambient light in the room. even better when the room is totally blacked out.price is very reasonable!

·
Registered
109 Posts
What's the viewing cone for the HCMW? How does it compare to the Graywolf?

I did a search online for the HCMW to compare places to buy it. Is the HCMW Model B the one you guys are talking about?

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
The HCMW is a 45 degree off center viewing cone...very decent width. The Model B is the least expensive manual. It is a 1.5" roller. They also have the Model C, which is a 3" roller with more steel parts (like the electrics). Then there is CSR which is available on either. They also have some designer models if you so choose. Lots to choose from essentially. The B is very reasonably priced and as long as you don't need too large a screen, should work great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello - I just purchased an infocus sp5000, recently brought it over to a friends house who has the graywolf with an infocus 4805. We hooked HD up to the 5000 and I was blown away, I love the screen, only problem is that it is too big. I only want around 76". I am using it in my living room to watch TV and DVDs also, there is some ambient light but there was in his basement also and I was satisfied with the picture. I saw the Dalite Hi Power that is 77" but it costs 2x as much. I liked the blacks on the graywolf and the 1.8 gain. How do you think the Dalite HCMW would compare to the graywolf? Room is lighter colored, a couple of windows the are away from the sun all day and are also covered, ceiling mounted. thanks for your help.

Harley

·
Registered
451 Posts
If you go with the Da-Lite HCMW pulldown, I would not advise the model B. The model C would be the way to go if you are going to be retracting the screen often. The model C has a much sturdier build to it, and will be less prone to producing waves in your screen. The model B only has a 1.5" roller vs. the model C's 3" roller (already mentioned in this thread). You'll kick yourself later for trying to save a few bucks if your screen develops wrinkles.

I have the HCMW model C and it is beautiful. I have no regrets with this screen choice.

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.