AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a classic question I know, but I am looking for help selecting a receiver for my home theater.

I think I've got it narrowed down to the following:

Pioneer VSX-D812-K

Panasonic SA-HE200

Pioneer VSX-D912-K

Denon AVR-1803

Onkyo TX-SR600

The Pioneer D812 seems to be the best deal for the price, but I am a bit apprehensive about buying a Pioneer. For some reason I feel like Pioneer is down there with APEX and the like. Could just be my lack of knowledge in the audio department.

The only things I really want are Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, and Pro Logic II which all of these have. I also don't want to spend more than $400-$450 (but less if it can be done).

I know that my best option is to go down and listen to all of them for myself, but I was curious what everyone here thought.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by weissguy
It's a classic question I know, but I am looking for help selecting a receiver for my home theater.

I think I've got it narrowed down to the following:

Pioneer VSX-D812-K

Panasonic SA-HE200

Pioneer VSX-D912-K

Denon AVR-1803

Onkyo TX-SR600

The Pioneer D812 seems to be the best deal for the price, but I am a bit apprehensive about buying a Pioneer. For some reason I feel like Pioneer is down there with APEX and the like. Could just be my lack of knowledge in the audio department.

The only things I really want are Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, and Pro Logic II which all of these have. I also don't want to spend more than $400-$450 (but less if it can be done).

I know that my best option is to go down and listen to all of them for myself, but I was curious what everyone here thought.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
Pioneer is no less than Denon or any other receiver on the above list when it comes to sound quality, especially in that price range, they are all going to be about even. I have a Sherwood DTS/DD receiver in my bedroom that I paid $139 for, almost two years ago and it sounds good and I haven't had one problem with it.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
You should add the Kenwood 6070 to your list, $340~ or there abouts for a decent receiver that puts out a honest 92watts per channel, the only two cons about it are no HDTV video switching and no OSD (on screen display). If you can get past those two cons, you have a very nice receiver for such little money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, gentlemen.

Does anyone else have anything to share?

Come on guys, give me your two cents.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sure - If you do decide on the Onkyo SR600 (most likely if you need extra component inputs/ bandwidth) - then you should get it from Onkyo's site @ shoponkyo.com. If you sign up for their little club thing, you can buy a refurb SR600 @ $310 shipped. It has a 1 yr warranty from them too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW! That's a great deal.

Seems that when I went to the website, they had every receiver EXCEPT the SR600 for a factory refurbished price.

But you can get the SR500 for $279. I wonder if they will put the 600 back on the list.

Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I signed up for the club and while the SR600 is not available, it says I can purchase the 500 for $209.

I don't really want the 500, but what a deal. I wonder when that 600 will go back on the list.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just picked up the 912 off ebay for $340 including shipping. It arrived after three days. I woun't be able to offer a review for about one month but gambled that it would be great for my application, if not it wasn't a lot of cash.

fhat

·
Registered
862 Posts
Quote:
Pioneer is no less than Denon or any other receiver on the above list when it comes to sound quality
I agree. And the VR6070 is a great price for a THX Select certified receiver. The Pioneer and VR6070 both have preouts for all channels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.