AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sherwin Williams is running a 40% off sale that ends tomorrow. Luck would have it I need a ton of paint and primer for my newly drywalled basement with a dedicated theater. I've used Sherwin Williams Super Paint on the upstairs walls of the house and cheapo Behr ceiling paint. Now that we have two young children I was thinking more along the lines of the low to no VOC options, like Harmony, to do the basement. Good or bad idea? I could have my wife take the kids out of the house for a few days if it meant a better finish using a different version of their paint.

I will be painting the ceiling in the theater flat black. This I want the absolute best finish on and don't care about VOC's. Which paint should I get and how do I tell them I want it BLACK? Also, I'm not sure which sheen to get for the walls of the theater but am leaning towards a satin/eggshell.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
One thing you need to make sure is URV value. I think I have used urv 3. You may find less than 3 URV. For every color, the back of sample sheet has URV value of of the paint. I went for duration, unfortunately, it does not have flat.

Others may give more suggestion.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Tell them you want the ProMar 400 flat black (pre mixed from the factory) . It's a contractor grade paint, but on the Manager said that for a flat black finish it wasn't going to matter. After trying several other brands, this stuff went on very nice, with no roller marks and it's BLACK!!! I actually bought a second gallon for the screen wall and the boo boo touch ups. Good stuff.

·
Banned
2,765 Posts
My girl works for the Headquarts and I just literally painted my theater this week... Tricorn black for the wall and ceiling and red theater for the walls...

Sherwin is going all low VOC now.. Use to get promar for 14 bucks a gallon now its almost double... Stupid Voc

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Do these colors either tricorn black or promor 400 flat will really make room as dark as covering with black velvet cloth? Sorry for hijacking the thread.

·
Registered
752 Posts
No paint is going to compete with Fidelio Black Velvet, but at 1/10 (or less) of the cost, I don't know why anyone would ever buy velvet for the ceiling and walls (who wants to sit in an all black room anyway).

For the front wall (in my opinion) Fidelio across the entire wall is also a waste of money. Standard black GOM for the majority of the wall and the Fidelio, another brand of black velvet or ProtoStar flocking (like I bought) to frame the screen is a better choice. The super black material is generally only used for light spillage over the edge of the screen, for certain masking panels and to "frame" the screen.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSport  /t/1421406/need-help-selecting-sherwin-williams-paint#post_22243527

No paint is going to compete with Fidelio Black Velvet, but at 1/10 (or less) of the cost, I don't know why anyone would ever buy velvet for the ceiling and walls (who wants to sit in an all black room anyway).

For the front wall (in my opinion) Fidelio across the entire wall is also a waste of money. Standard black GOM for the majority of the wall and the Fidelio, another brand of black velvet or ProtoStar flocking (like I bought) to frame the screen is a better choice. The super black material is generally only used for light spillage over the edge of the screen, for certain masking panels and to "frame" the screen.

My friend had painted nav blue (URV 3) matte (Next best to flat) and he has one side cloth. when he plays movies, On the paint side wall brightens/dims based on the picture brightness. It is kind of distracting. I guess flat may reduce or eliminate that effect. Or as you mentioned, nothing is close to dark cloth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts