AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and thanks for any feedback!

I have a large-ish open-plan basement (see pic, below) and want to put in a TV and HT speakers (5.1).

I'd like your thoughts on what speakers I should get.

* Within reason, size shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'd be open to floor-standing 'tower' speakers. I could put the surrounds on the wall or on stands.

* My budget is sub-$1000 and I'd prefer to stay more towards the middle of that range (but will splurge if it's worth it)

* I'm not looking for super-high volume or a sub-woofer that will shake the foundations. We have three young kids, and even from the basement the bass sounds seems to be heard all around the house. I'd consider skipping the sub-woofer if the main speakers had decent bass.

* Having said that, I do worry that I have a large room and need a system that will fill it. The surrounds are quite far from the seating area so need a bit of umpf.

From my research, here's my thinking:

* Energy Take Classic 5.1 - good reviews and cheap, but are they too small for the space?

* Pioneer SP-PK21BS - Larger so should fill the room a bit better, still a very reasonable cost

* Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 - Great reviews, a bit pricey, wonder if the smaller speakers will fill the room.

* Polk Tsi series - the 300's plus matching stuff.

I'm not locked into anything though (even the room layout - see this thread for more details) so please suggest anything you think might work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Choosing a receiver and speakers shouldn't be too hard. But that room is fairly big and open so bass will be an issue. I honestly recommend getting a 7.2 receiver and starting out with 5.1 but then add a second sub and then add 2 surround rear speakers when you have more money. With that being said I recommend that you make sure you get a sub that won't be discontinued soon because 2 identical subs is the best way to go. Also if you do want to upgrade from 5.1 to 7.2 choose your surrounds wisely. Your surrounds do not have to match your fronts, but you do want your front 3 speakers to be of matching brand and model line and you want your 4 surrounds to be of matching brand and model line.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Check out newegg.com. Onkyo 609 for a receiver. Polk Monitor 70s as fronts and a cs2 center and Monitor 30s as surrounds. Or Polk Monitor 40s as fronts and a cs1 center and Monitor 30s as surrounds. Also I would recommend the Elemental Designs A2-300 as a high quality yet cheaper sub @ $415 each from edesignaudio.com.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.