AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Your budget. $800-1400

2. Size requirements/limits. NA

3. Room dimensions. 19x19x10, its an open room with 3 big openings that cant be closed

4. Primary uses. HT 65% Music 35%

5. Listening habits. 50-90% Volume at times.

6. Appearance requirements. Black, Not that picky.

Klipsch RF-82 II are fronts with Klipsch RC62 II as center. Klipsch RS52 IIs are rears.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1. Your budget. $800-1400

2. Size requirements/limits. NA

3. Room dimensions. 19x19x10, its an open room with 3 big openings that cant be closed

4. Primary uses. HT 65% Music 35%

5. Listening habits. 50-90% Volume at times.

6. Appearance requirements. Black, Not that picky.

Klipsch RF-82 II are fronts with Klipsch RC62 II as center. Klipsch RS52 IIs are rears.
Forgot to mention I am currently considering HSU & SVS subs. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11,618 Posts
Keep an eye on the SVS outlet. Currently, two SB-2000s would be $1460, 45 days to try them and ship them back if you're not happy.
No PB-2000s there currently, but I'm sure they show up every once in a while. Plenty of arguments here about sealed vs. ported; your call.
You will need multiple subs (probably even more than two) for a room that size.
Have fun, and welcome to AVS (you may be sorry :D).

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
with your room being 3610 ft^3 and estimating your openings, you may have around 5000 ft^3 total. That's a large area to fill and you probably need to be thinking dual ported subs. Not sure you can swing this with a $1400 budget. For a little over $1700 you could get HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP duals. Dual PB-2000's would be $1499

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
My advice would be to get the Echo 18 from Reaction Audio - http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/collections/subwoofers/products/echo-18?variant=1107637857
Plan on saving for duals with your large space.

I would advise on finding a way to utilize near field placement. For this, smaller sealed options would be an easier fit. Perhaps the SVS SB2000 http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb-2000

B-Stock is always a great way to go and a great way to save money. I would always purchase B-Stock if it comes with a warranty and minimal visible damage.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
As has been said before, you should be open to going with duals given the size you're trying to fill. At your budget, you really want to go ported. And, remember that both SVS and PSA offer free in-home trials so they are worth demoing as it's free to do so. Unfortunately, dual is going to be tough given your budget.

From each of the brands most talked about here, you should be looking at within your budget for a single:

Reaction Audio - Echo 18
PSA - V1500
Rythmik - FV15HP
SVS - PB12 Plus
Hsu - VTF15H Mk2

If you want to go dual, PSA, and RA aren't going to fit your budget unless you hit the jackpot on the outlet pricing.

SVS - PB1000
SVS - PB2000 (stretches budget a bit)
Rythmik - LV12R
Hsu VTF-2 Mk4
Hsu VTF-3 Mk5 (stretches budget a bit)

My personal advice would be to buy the best subwoofer you can afford right now and add a second later if you decide you want the smoothing and extra output.

Edit: The only subwoofer on the list that I have personal experience with is the PSA V1500 and I absolutely loved it! I did a side-by-side and chose the S3000i from PSA because, despite my room size, I was able to get the same level of output from the S3000i at the port tuning of the V1500, and higher output both above and below the port tuning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep an eye on the SVS outlet. Currently, two SB-2000s would be $1460, 45 days to try them and ship them back if you're not happy.
No PB-2000s there currently, but I'm sure they show up every once in a while. Plenty of arguments here about sealed vs. ported; your call.
You will need multiple subs (probably even more than two) for a room that size.
Have fun, and welcome to AVS (you may be sorry :D).
Thanks for the info...I believe I will go with ported subs. Do you have experience with SVS subs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
with your room being 3610 ft^3 and estimating your openings, you may have around 5000 ft^3 total. That's a large area to fill and you probably need to be thinking dual ported subs. Not sure you can swing this with a $1400 budget. For a little over $1700 you could get HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP duals. Dual PB-2000's would be $1499
What would you recommend if I were to purchase 1 sub now and a 2nd later on?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As has been said before, you should be open to going with duals given the size you're trying to fill. At your budget, you really want to go ported. And, remember that both SVS and PSA offer free in-home trials so they are worth demoing as it's free to do so. Unfortunately, dual is going to be tough given your budget.

From each of the brands most talked about here, you should be looking at within your budget for a single:

Reaction Audio - Echo 18
PSA - V1500
Rythmik - FV15HP
SVS - PB12 Plus
Hsu - VTF15H Mk2

If you want to go dual, PSA, and RA aren't going to fit your budget unless you hit the jackpot on the outlet pricing.

SVS - PB1000
SVS - PB2000 (stretches budget a bit)
Rythmik - LV12R
Hsu VTF-2 Mk4
Hsu VTF-3 Mk5 (stretches budget a bit)

My personal advice would be to buy the best subwoofer you can afford right now and add a second later if you decide you want the smoothing and extra output.

Edit: The only subwoofer on the list that I have personal experience with is the PSA V1500 and I absolutely loved it! I did a side-by-side and chose the S3000i from PSA because, despite my room size, I was able to get the same level of output from the S3000i at the port tuning of the V1500, and higher output both above and below the port tuning.
If I increased my budget to $2000 for subwoofers what would you recommend? I may purchase 1 now and another at a later date.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
What would you recommend if I were to purchase 1 sub now and a 2nd later on?
Well singles the HSU would run you $888. Hate to mention this, but for $1008 you can step up a notch to the HSU VTF-15H MK2, which is slightly better performer. The SVS would be $800. The HSU will be a more robust performer running a single sub in a large space such as yours. The HSU allows some tuning options you don't get with the SVS. However, the SVS does have the 5 year full warranty and free 45 day trial with free return shipping if the sub doesn't work out for you.

I personally like SVS and used to have the PB-2000 in a 2700 ft^3 room and it did very well by itself. However, I would probably go for the VTF-3 MK5 HP for the extra output and tuning flexibility if I were in your situation.

Reactions: ChromeJob

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
If I increased my budget to $2000 for subwoofers what would you recommend? I may purchase 1 now and another at a later date.

Well with most ID sub companies you get a discount for buying duals. I think PSA might give you a discount if you buy one, then another within a year? Anyway, the HSU VTF-15H MK2 is $1967 for two and $1008 for one.

One other possibility is the PSA V1500. Two of those are $1999. They also have a 30 day trial period and free return shipping. Full 5 year warranty, as well.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If your budget goes to $2k, your options for duals become a lot more attractive. In terms of single, you can add:

PSA - S3000i
RA - Gamma 218
RA - Echo 18
SVS - PB13 Ultra

For $2k on the nose, you can go with dual PSA V1500s which is a fantastic option. Hsu and RA will also have options for duals at $2k.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well singles the HSU would run you $888. Hate to mention this, but for $1008 you can step up a notch to the HSU VTF-15H MK2, which is slightly better performer. The SVS would be $800. The HSU will be a more robust performer running a single sub in a large space such as yours. The HSU allows some tuning options you don't get with the SVS. However, the SVS does have the 5 year full warranty and free 45 day trial with free return shipping if the sub doesn't work out for you.

I personally like SVS and used to have the PB-2000 in a 2700 ft^3 room and it did very well by itself. However, I would probably go for the VTF-3 MK5 HP for the extra output and tuning flexibility if I were in your situation.
A friend of mine recommended the HSU VTF-15H MK2 also. I was really leaning towards the SVS PB12-plus before he made that recommendation. It seems like the HSU is a better value buy, but man that speaker is HUGE! I do not think I would ever put 2 of those in my living room! Any thoughts on the Cylinder Subs by SVS?

·
Registered
11,618 Posts

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I wouldn't increase the subwoofer budget. I would get a single sub at your $1400 max and put the extra $600 in going duals later down the road. I would look into the Echo 18 and other large ported subs. The Echo 18 is pretty new, so I would do my research and test it out in your room with other similar priced subs to see which you prefer.

Reactions: nalthien

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
A friend of mine recommended the HSU VTF-15H MK2 also. I was really leaning towards the SVS PB12-plus before he made that recommendation. It seems like the HSU is a better value buy, but man that speaker is HUGE! I do not think I would ever put 2 of those in my living room! Any thoughts on the Cylinder Subs by SVS?
The Hsu will outperform the PB12 Plus above 20 hz, and so will the VTF3 mk5. I heard what the VTF3 mk5 can do this afternoon, that thing is amazing, both in output and sound quality. You absolutely can not go wrong with a pair of VTF3 mk5s or VTF15h mk2s. I also like what I have read about the Reaction Echo 15 and Rythmik FVX15. They will all outperform the SVS handily.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. I believe I am leaning towards buying a single HSU VTF-15H MK2 and explore the option of adding a second at a later date. Seems to be the most bang for the buck for my needs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One last thought, I believe the VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer will sound fabulous when watching a movie but should I be concerned about the responsiveness while listening to music since it's a 15" woofer? Wouldn't a 12" such as PB12plus do better with music?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
One last thought, I believe the VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer will sound fabulous when watching a movie but should I be concerned about the responsiveness while listening to music since it's a 15" woofer? Wouldn't a 12" such as PB12plus do better with music?
In a word: no. It's a nasty misconception that smaller drivers are better for music. My current subwoofers total 4 15" drivers and they are AMAZING for music--far better than any 10" or 12" system I've experienced.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.