AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aloha from Hawaii!

I have just moved to a new place, and am trying to setup my projector for my bedroom (w/blackout curtains). I have an old Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 705 HD mounted on the ceiling that is hooked up to an amazon fire TV box streaming mostly plex and netflix. For sound I am using a sonos unit hooked up to a set of good (stereo) speakers. I watch TV and movies.

The wall isn't 100% straight (has a slight bump in the right side/middle). the maximum I can project on it 84" wide (96 diagonal with 16:9), so I'll need something with a frame where the screen is a bit apart from the wall. This is a rental so if I can use the 3m removable mounting tape to mount the frame that would rock even more!!!

I was wondering what fixed projector screen you guys would recommend for my setup? The cheaper the better (I mainly watch movies on my 65" HDTV and don't have 5.1 sound in my bedroom so I'm sure anything is better than my bare curved wall).

Mahalo.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
I don't like the idea of mounting something like a Silver Ticket screen with mounting tape so I would suggest something like DIY screen material from Carl's Place on Amazon.

It can be cut to size and he also sells 'velvet' tape borders for similar functionality to a fixed frame. You might have to come up with some sort of backing material to deal with the hump in the wall. Maybe backing cardboard on the sides only that provide clearance over the hump.

If your walls and ceiling are painted a bright color you might try his gray material. It's less likely to cause an image brightness problem with such a small image.

·
Registered
10,144 Posts
Silver Ticket is widely considered the best value fixed screen. But fixed screens are pretty heavy for mounting tape and wouldn't make for a safe installation. You'd be better off making mounting holes in the wall and patching them before you move. Another option would be to live with a floor-rising screen as long as you're in a rental property. I'm using a 100" Elite Screens ezCinema floor pull-up screen that costs less than $250 from Amazon and works just as well as any pull-down screen I've owned. It's not as perfectly flat as a fixed screen but it's a reasonable option where other screens can't be used.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't like the idea of mounting something like a Silver Ticket screen with mounting tape so I would suggest something like DIY screen material from Carl's Place on Amazon.

It can be cut to size and he also sells 'velvet' tape borders for similar functionality to a fixed frame. You might have to come up with some sort of backing material to deal with the hump in the wall. Maybe backing cardboard on the sides only that provide clearance over the hump.

If your walls and ceiling are painted a bright color you might try his gray material. It's less likely to cause an image brightness problem with such a small image.
Great idea. I also like the cardboard to solve the "bump" issue. Does it "stretch" i.e. does it need to be tight? Any advantage of the rolled vs folded version?

My wall is an off white (expresso or something) I saw that they have a sample pack for the different colors, so I may try that. I use my projector in eco mode which helps with the brightness.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Silver Ticket is widely considered the best value fixed screen. But fixed screens are pretty heavy for mounting tape and wouldn't make for a safe installation. You'd be better off making mounting holes in the wall and patching them before you move. Another option would be to live with a floor-rising screen as long as you're in a rental property. I'm using a 100" Elite Screens ezCinema floor pull-up screen that costs less than $250 from Amazon and works just as well as any pull-down screen I've owned. It's not as perfectly flat as a fixed screen but it's a reasonable option where other screens can't be used.
Any idea how much the silver ticket weighs and what the back is made from (material wise). I have a bunch of the 3M Command large pictures strips (that hold up to 16lbs each) that I've used to hang large framed paintings with success and was wondering if that would work

·
Registered
10,144 Posts
Shipping weight of a 100" 16:9 Silver Ticket fixed screen is ~30 lbs so figure ~25 lbs ready to hang. If you've had success with 3M Command large pictures strips that hold up to 16 lbs each you might consider it a worthwhile risk to try to hang one with two or more of those strips. If it were me I wouldn't trust having anything fragile underneath it, but I'm old-fashioned and believe in drilling and fastening everything into studs. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have that exact screen (96" silver ticket) hanging in a bedroom I converted to a media room/den.

I would definitely say you need to mount it with screws into the wall. Mine is held with with 2 small screws into the studs and it's rock solid. It's not very heavy but it is pretty large. Two 1/4 inch diameter holes is all it would leave behind, which would only take a few minutes to fill when you move.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Another note is, the aluminum frame is not flat on the back. It has a grooved track to hold the snaps for the screen in place. You won't really be able to get good contact with command strips anyways. Just do 2 screws into the studs and you will be all set.

Overall I am very happy with the screen. Assembled quick, looks great, works great, easy to install, assemble, and hang.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Look at Grandview on the B&H Photo site.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you can devise a way to support the Silver Ticket (recommended, I have two) screen on the bottom, like resting on a dresser, holding to the wall at the top becomes trivial. Just one right angled screw hook on each side to a stud. I bet two more at the bottom would suffice to hold it all together for that matter. It's not heavy, and the screw hook holes are super basic to fill.

If your landlord doesn't allow any holes of any kind, rest it on a dresser and mount a mirror bracket to the back of the dresser and affix that to the frame. You could raise it off the dresser in fact.

Where there's a will... :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have that exact screen (96" silver ticket) hanging in a bedroom I converted to a media room/den.

I would definitely say you need to mount it with screws into the wall. Mine is held with with 2 small screws into the studs and it's rock solid. It's not very heavy but it is pretty large. Two 1/4 inch diameter holes is all it would leave behind, which would only take a few minutes to fill when you move.
Thanks, that's the way I'm leaning. I haven't found a 96" version on Amazon. Where did you get it? I have the added complication of finding somewhere that will ship to Hawaii.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you can devise a way to support the Silver Ticket (recommended, I have two) screen on the bottom, like resting on a dresser, holding to the wall at the top becomes trivial. Just one right angled screw hook on each side to a stud. I bet two more at the bottom would suffice to hold it all together for that matter. It's not heavy, and the screw hook holes are super basic to fill.

If your landlord doesn't allow any holes of any kind, rest it on a dresser and mount a mirror bracket to the back of the dresser and affix that to the frame. You could raise it off the dresser in fact.

Where there's a will... :)
Very inventive!

·
Registered
181 Posts

Thanks, that's the way I'm leaning. I haven't found a 96" version on Amazon. Where did you get it? I have the added complication of finding somewhere that will ship to Hawaii.

Its been about a year, but if I remember right I bought it direct from Silver Ticket's website.

·
Registered
10,144 Posts
Silver Ticket lists no 96" screens of any aspect ratio. In 16:9 they jump in size from 92" to 100", in 16:10 they jump in size from 93" to 109" and in 2.35:1 they start at 115".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts