AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Forum members

Forgive me if this topic has been discussed already, bu I could not find a precise answer by just searching the forum.

I will do my best to explain my need and hope some of the experts in this forum can guide me towards making a good product choice.

I have just purchased a new apartment and it is still being built. So I have the chance to plan ahead for my Home Theater Setup.

The room where this Home Theather is going to be located is faily large and is a "Living Room, Dinning Room, Kitchen, Balcony" all integrated space. (the space is "L" Shaped and has aproximately 120 square meters ou about 1200 square feet.

The Home theatet is going to be set up in the living room, followed by the dining room (both in the long part of the "L"), the balcony (at the corner) and then the kitchen (at the small part of the "L").

To make it easier I will call the Living Room "Area 1" and all the rest "Area 2"

What I would like to do is set up my system the following way:

a) Regular 7.1 Setup for "Area 1"

b) 2 ceiling speakers above the dinning room, 2 in the balcony and 2 in the kitchen for "Area 2"

I would like to be abble to do the following:

1 - Regularly watch 7.1 movies while in the "Area 1" with NO sound coming through "Area 2" speakers

2 - Listen to music in "Area 2" speakers with NO sound coming though the "Area 1" speakers

3 - Listen to music or watch a DVD concert with sound coming from both "Area 1" and "Area 2" speakers. In this particular scenario surround effects are of no major concern as this is most likely a "party" situation and the intent is to get low "ambient" sound all over. Thus loosing surround sound in area 1 is perfectly acceptable (sort of a A+B setup). If this can be made a 5.1 + 6 speakers system it would be great.

I would preffer to just have one receiver and no external amps and if possible chain link the 6 area 2 speakers (if the impedances can be made to add up to a value accepted by the receiver) so that the whole setup can work with a receiver that has only two additional speaker outputs.

Ideally this should be a under US 1.000 receiver wil 3 or more HDMI inputs and the latest codecs (Ex: Sherwood Newcastle R-872 7.1 Dual Zone A/V Receiver with HDMI 1.3 ).

I know this has been a long post and I really appreaciate you taking the time to read it and any thougts, or suggestions will be welcome.

Best regards.

André

·
Registered
398 Posts
Andre,

You've described a 4-zone system (zone 1 = "Area 1", zones 2,3 and 4 = "Area 2"). The power requirements in terms of channels are 7 for "Area 1" + 2 each for zones 2,3 and 4 for "Area 2", for a total of 13 channels. You're not going to find an AVR for under $1,000 US to meet those requirements. You will need additional amplification to provide all 13 channels.

You might want to consider consulting with a custom installer before making any purchases. Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear Friend

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I understood your point, but let me ask you one thing. Considering that the 6 speakes in area 2 will alway put out the same signal, do I really need 6 channels as oposed to 2? I though about a scenario with 3 4 ohms speakers chained connecting to an amp capable o off accepting a 12 ohms load (if something like that actually exhists).

You mentioned that I won't find anything bellow Usd 1000, what can I expect then?

Best regards

André

·
Registered
398 Posts
You could find an AVR at http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html

Again, it might be a good idea for you to consult with an A/V Specialty retailer or installer in your area before making a purchase.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Easy to do with a SN R872.

You need a 6 channel amp to power the 6 zone 2 speakers. Least expensive way is to find a used Rotel or NAD 6 channel amp - hook up to zone 2 output on 872. These units will run down below 4 ohms and can be found in $300 to $400 range. You can install inwall potentiometer in each room to control volume of the 2 speakers in that room.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dear Pursquared. Again, thank you for your reply. The link you suggested was very informative. Best regards André

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dear Filthy Macnasty.

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate the syggestion for the amp. I will look into that. As far ad the receiver, is there any other one you would recommend for this setup (ex onkyo 905 or elite 94)? Any other issues I need to be aware off? Best regardz. André

1 - 7 of 7 Posts