AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very new to this so hopefully some of this makes sense...

So I just bought the Yamaha YHT-393BL. It's my first surround sound system so hopefully I'll like it! I'm going to be using it with my cable box/ps3/xbox 360/PC. If I have the ps3 and xbox 360 going to the reciever and then the cable box going to just the tv and the tv going to the receiver will i be able to hear the cable through the system? The reason i don't want the cable box going into the receiver is because I wanted to be able to have my xbox and ps3 going my computer monitor sometimes while still having the cable box go to the tv at the same time (to watch tv while gaming)? idk if this would be possible or the best way to go about it.

my other question is what is the best way to hook up my pc to it? I have hdmi on my graphics card so I could go from that to the receiver but then I'd have to have the receiver go to the monitor but then if I also wanted the xbox etc going to the tv would I need a switch?

Hopefully any of this makes sense but thinking about it as I type it seems like it may not be possible and I'd need speakers for my computer as well as my tv and game systems?

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
Hi undersinjake, no need to post in two places.

Need to clarify your setup and how its connected for each components?

Do you have two monitors, TV and computer monitor?

If so, do you play PS3 and Xbox 360 from Tv or computer monitor?

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake /forum/post/19550075

I'm very new to this so hopefully some of this makes sense...

So I just bought the Yamaha YHT-393BL. It's my first surround sound system so hopefully I'll like it! I'm going to be using it with my cable box/ps3/xbox 360/PC. If I have the ps3 and xbox 360 going to the reciever and then the cable box going to just the tv and the tv going to the receiver will i be able to hear the cable through the system? The reason i don't want the cable box going into the receiver is because I wanted to be able to have my xbox and ps3 going my computer monitor sometimes while still having the cable box go to the tv at the same time (to watch tv while gaming)? idk if this would be possible or the best way to go about it.

my other question is what is the best way to hook up my pc to it? I have hdmi on my graphics card so I could go from that to the receiver but then I'd have to have the receiver go to the monitor but then if I also wanted the xbox etc going to the tv would I need a switch?

Hopefully any of this makes sense but thinking about it as I type it seems like it may not be possible and I'd need speakers for my computer as well as my tv and game systems?

I think this could mostly be accomplished with HDMI splitters (splits 1 HDMI cable into 2 or 3 outputs) and an HDMI switch (2-5 inputs into 1 output with a selector to choose which you want to watch). They are not very expensive.

For the things you want to hook into both the TV and Monitor, get a splitter and route one cable to the AVR and the other through an HDMI switch to your computer monitor. The switch would let you select what you want to see on the computer monitor.

If you don't have an HDMI input on your computer monitor you would need an HDMI>DVI converter (less than $5).

This would take care of the video portion. The audio going to the PC would be problematic without replacing the HDMI switch with a 2nd receiver. If you watch TV and play games do you listen to the TV or the games or both?

You would have alot of cables floating around, but it would do what you are asking.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/19550170

Hi undersinjake, no need to post in two places.

Need to clarify your setup and how its connected for each components?

Do you have two monitors, TV and computer monitor?

If so, do you play PS3 and Xbox 360 from Tv or computer monitor?

sorry about that! realized it probably should of been posted in this forum instead.

I have a samsung 40" 1080p tv and a 27" 1920 x 1200 monitor.

At the moment I mostly play the ps3 and 360 through my computer monitor but I'd like to be able to switch between that or the tv

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzerro /forum/post/19550191

I think this could mostly be accomplished with HDMI splitters (splits 1 HDMI cable into 2 or 3 outputs) and an HDMI switch (2-5 inputs into 1 output with a selector to choose which you want to watch). They are not very expensive.

For the things you want to hook into both the TV and Monitor, get a splitter and route one cable to the AVR and the other through an HDMI switch to your computer monitor. The switch would let you select what you want to see on the computer monitor.

If you don't have an HDMI input on your computer monitor you would need an HDMI>DVI converter (less than $5).

This would take care of the video portion. The audio going to the PC would be problematic without replacing the HDMI switch with a 2nd receiver. If you watch TV and play games do you listen to the TV or the games or both?

You would have alot of cables floating around, but it would do what you are asking.

my monitor does have hdmi and dvi, but only one hdmi and I have two monitors actually the other one can only be plugged in dvi. So i would have dvi going to the smaller one from my graphics card and then I guess I would need ANOTHER hdmi switch to choose between the hdmi coming from my graphics card or from the switch that picks between the tv or monitor.

Also tv sound and ccomputer sound could be used at the same time if even possible

Ugh seems so complicated

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake
Ugh seems so complicated
Your proposed setup is pretty unique, so you'll have to find some ways to adapt it from existing products.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa
Your proposed setup is pretty unique, so you'll have to find some ways to adapt it from existing products.
is it just too weird that I shouldn't even bother. Seems like more people would want this..

problem is Idk were to even go about looking for what products I need.

I've seen those 4x2 etc hdmi switchers, but they range so much in price I didn't know which are good.

Anyone know of a good one for not too much?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I don't think that many people watch TV while gaming. Could be wrong, but it's not exactly something electronics makers cater to.

What you want can be done, but you have to really think out how the signals will go.

Here's some cheap but good splitters. Monoprice has quality stuff.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...04&cp_id=10113

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa
I don't think that many people watch TV while gaming. Could be wrong, but it's not exactly something electronics makers cater to.

What you want can be done, but you have to really think out how the signals will go.

Here's some cheap but good splitters. Monoprice has quality stuff.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...04&cp_id=10113
thank you

and yes i know haha that's not even really an important part I don't care if I do that

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin
So you're trying to setup three monitor them, correct?

Only one monitor will be direct connected to PC via DVI, correct?
correct... the two monitors are for my computer. only the 27" will be used for the consoles though

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
I'm guess all components (PC, PS3, Xbox 360 and cable box) are via HDMI, correct?

How is audio output from PC, via HDMI, optical, coaxial or RCA (red & white)?
yes they are all hdmi

and hmm for audio out well I only have on board sound atm (was using graphics card hdmi to monitor though) so if i had to go from that I think it has optical out but has spdif if i wanted to get one of those to a coaxial.

But i actually just purchased this if it helps..
http://us.store.creative.com/PCI-Exp...B001E25KDK.htm

edit: link doesn't seem to work... it's this card.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-024-_-Product

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
Quote:
yes they are all hdmi
One thing I'm not is a PC guy, so when it gets to card/board I'm

Here is a setup suggestion:

PC --> HDMI --> 1x2 splitter --> HDMI/DVI smaller monitor

-----------------L-------------> HDMI to recever

PS3 --------------------------> HDMI to receiver

Xbox 360 ---------------------> HDMI to receiver

Cable Box ---------------------> 40" Tv

Receiver out ---HDMI --> 1x2 splitter --> 40" Tv

--------------------------L-------------> 27" monitor

Monoprice HDMI 1x2 splitter product #4921

Run PC audio either optical or coaxial or RCA to receiver.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
One thing I'm not is a PC guy, so when it gets to card/board I'm

Here is a setup suggestion:

PC --> HDMI --> 1x2 splitter --> HDMI/DVI smaller monitor

-----------------L-------------> HDMI to recever

PS3 --------------------------> HDMI to receiver

Xbox 360 ---------------------> HDMI to receiver

Cable Box ---------------------> 40" Tv

Receiver out ---HDMI --> 1x2 splitter --> 40" Tv

--------------------------L-------------> 27" monitor

Monoprice HDMI 1x2 splitter product #4921

Run PC audio either optical or coaxial or RCA to receiver.
haha i see

well something I was wondering about is if I have my PC going hdmi to the receiver and then just have my headphones plugged into the receiver as opposed to the sound card will this sound good?? And it will it give the 5.1 or soundstage or whatever its called in the headphones so you can hear footsteps behind you etc?

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
Quote:
haha i see

well something I was wondering about is if I have my PC going hdmi to the receiver and then just have my headphones plugged into the receiver as opposed to the sound card will this sound good?? And it will it give the 5.1 or soundstage or whatever its called in the headphones so you can hear footsteps behind you etc?
Sorry can't answer that, don't know what Yamaha headphone output.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
Quote:
what do you mean?
From Yamaha: uses SILENT CINEMA and Virtual CINEMA DSP

Quote:
SILENT CINEMA makes it possible to hear large-scale surround sound through ordinary headphones! This is a variation of CINEMA DSP technology that Yamaha developed to let you listen in private to movies and other multi-channel sources for hours without listening fatigue. Virtual CINEMA DSP lets you enjoy the effects of CINEMA DSP surround sound without using surround speakers (handy for use in custom installations where some rooms don't have surround speakers). It can be used with the front / center / presence speakers or even with just the two front left and right speakers.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Quote:
haha i see

If you plug headphones into the standard headphone jack, it'll probably just be stereo, unless the headphones have some way to extract the sound to surround (I don't know headphones that well.) You're probably better off keeping it plugged into the sound card.

The Yamaha doesn't appear to have any digital output. Usually those are on receivers that are much more expensive.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.