AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a little situation that has me stumped.

I have a Sony blu-ray player that is hooked up to my tv via HDMI.

I have a Samsung soundar hooked up to my tv via optical cable.

I also have a digital cable box, PS3 and PS4 hooked up to my tv via HDMI.

The sound plays perfectly fine with my cable, PS3 and PS4. I never had to alter any settings and they all play on the same input on the soundbar.

However, the sound doesn't play for my blu-ray player. At first I thought it might be the HDMI port or the cable I'm using. But the sound plays properly through the tv speakers so that isn't the case.

I checked the audio settings on the blu-ray player but didn't see anything that would fix the problem.

I consider myself to be pretty adept at hooking up sound systems but I just can't wrap my head around why it won't work. If I have three other things working that all use the same connection as the blu-ray player, would could possibly be preventing it from working?

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
12,973 Posts
Try changing the audio output of the BR player to PCM instead of bitstream. You didn't say which BR you have so I can't tell you exactly how to do that, but it should be in your manual. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try changing the audio output of the BR player to PCM instead of bitstream. You didn't say which BR you have so I can't tell you exactly how to do that, but it should be in your manual. ;)
Yeah, I tried that. It was set on Auto and I changed it to PCM but it still didn't work. Sorry about not stating the model number. I'm not at home right now and can't remember what it is. I think it's a relatively new model. It has Wifi capability and the ability to go on Netflix, etc. If it's necessary, I'll note it on here once I get home.

·
Registered
12,973 Posts
Hmmm...I got nothin then. Maybe someone who is more familiar with your type of setup will chime in soon!

I have read that some TVs won't pass uncompressed audio (DTS Master, Dolby True HD) over HDMI, but I don't know the solution (except to get an AVR ;) ).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts