AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem setting up my Mitsubishi 65413 as the Primary monitor on my HTPC. This is my first HTPC so I am a total newbie at this.

My current HTPC configuration is..

Athlon XP 2600M

Abit NF7-S V2

ATI Radeon 9600SE (both DVI and VGA)

MYHD MDP-130

Samsung 160G HD

Maxtor 160G HD

Lite-on 1653 DVD-RW

Sony DVD-Rom

XP Pro

Mitsubishi WS-65413 CRT RPTV

So here's the deal...

I just did a fresh WinXP Pro install using a Samsung LCD monitor as my display connected via DVI. After installing all the available updates and drivers I installed the MYHD card and installed Powerstrip. I hooked up the Mits via the VGA loop through with the MYHD card.

I booted up and went right into powerstrip to set up the custom timings for the Mits. I also set up the MYHD parameters. First of all the MYHD output for HD works perfectly when in HD mode. However if I turned it off the Mits screen would go black. I figured out that I needed to setup the Mits as another display via the display menu and or the Catalyst settings.

I was able to finally get a desktop on the Mits with the toolbar and icons by making it the Primary display and not "extending" it to the other display. Of course

I still has the Smasung hooked up at this time but after I changed the settings and had the desktop on the Mits I decided to reboot to make sure the Mits would be the Primary display...it didn't work? When I rebooted it set the Samsung again as the Primary display and I had to go through all the settings once again to get the desktop on the Mits. I then went into the Device Mangaer and uninstalled the Samsung thinking that when I rebooted the Mits would be the only display it saw and make it the Primary...it didn't! I got a distorted POST screen and the Windows splash screen and then it went black..

I guess what I'm trying to figure out it how to make the Mitsubishi the Primary desktop display and not have the Samsung connected at all. I want to be able to boot up the HTPC and have a usable desktop on the Mitsubishi screen right off the bat.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
What res are you using for the Mits?

If it's 1920x1080i, then then Cat drivers may be overidding Powerstrip.

I use 1776x1000i and the ATi Cat drivers remember this so I don't even load PS.

I use dual display because 1080i TV's are not ideal for desktop use plus the possible burn-in issue.

If I need to read text form the TV, I use 960x540p. ....mike....

Abit NF-7s/XP3000+/Radeon X800XL w/ Cat 5.7 CCC/Fusion2 HDTV/1G Dual Channel DDR/NEC 3250a DVD/3 250GB HDD's/Dvine 5 case/Liquid Cooling by EXOS/Fujitsu 17" WS LCD/Mits 65-411....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
What res are you using for the Mits?
Well I am trying to use 848x480. Like I said before I get it to work but when I reboot it's right back to the settings I had before.

I don't want to use dual display mainly because I don't have a spare monitor laying around and really don't want a monitor in my livingroom.

Does this have something to do with the Cat drivers?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The newer CAT drivers w/ Catalyst Control Center have custom resolution setups that work w/ DVI. I use VGA and there is no custom resolution support for that. Hence Powerstrp for me. Not sure if it supports the dongle either. What version dirvers are you using?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
What version dirvers are you using?
I'm using the most current version. I am also using the VGA for my Mits, mainly because I wanted to use the loop through of the MYHD card and not have to spring for the DVI daughter card.

Here's what I'd like to be able to do...

Boot up the machine to a desktop on the Mits in whatever resolution is best, without having another Monitor hooked up. Is this possible? If so how?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I think there's a checkbox you need to UNcheck... something like: use only modes supported by the monitor

This way the PC will continue to output the desired rez ignoring any EDID info it may (or may NOT) be getting from the Mitsu

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck
I think there's a checkbox you need to UNcheck... something like: use only modes supported by the monitor

This way the PC will continue to output the desired rez ignoring any EDID info it may (or may NOT) be getting from the Mitsu
Thanks. I'll see if I can find that and give it a shot.

Well I already had that box "unchecked". That wasn't it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK guys I'm ready to throw this F'ing thing in a lake!!!

Every time disconnect the Samsung and I reboot I get the distorted POST then the Windows splash screen then blackness, that's it. If I connect the Samsung back up the Mits works fine. It's when I disconnect the Samsung that the MItsubuishi won't come on? HELP ME PLEASE, I'm begging :confused:

Is there a step by step tutorial anywhere on how to do this?

Please can anyone help me??

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's another thing..

After I reboot... the system has reset the "#2" Monitor which is the Mitsubishi as not active and has reset the "#1" monitor back to the Primary and the only one active?

It's like the computer is ignoring the changes made after a reboot if the Samsung is disconnected.

If I leave the Samsung connected after I make the Mits the Primary display and reboot this is what happens...

The POST screen and Windows Splash screen appears on the Samsung then it goes black and the Mits rolls for a few seconds then locks on to the desktop. I"m thinking that becasue the Mits is on the ATI's "secondary" spot it won't initialize until Catalyst or PS starts up?

Also Is it possible that because the system is unable to identify the Mitsubishi that it's reverting back to the original settings, disregarding the changes I made prior to the reboot when the Samsung is disconnected??

Look..at this point if someone can walk me through this I'd be willing to pay them. I really am at wits end here.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Droid,

I followed all the steps in your guide, and elsewhere on this site. I can't seem to get my display to fit on my screen w/ out using keystone....but when i launch media center...the keystone stops working and it doesn't fit the screen...it's driving me nuts!!! what am i doing wrong? is it a resolution thing? is mine wrong? i have it on 720p, and it's just slightly larger than my screen.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I know I'm not giving you specifics, but I think the ATi only supports HD on one of the ports. Also, I think the Mitsu only supports 1080i timing, so 1776x1000i should work as your default res since 1920x1080i usually has too much overscan. Try eliminating the complexity and use only the ATi to the Mitsu. Get that running and rebooting. On the chance you need to use your OTHER display, create CCC profiles and switch between them with Hot-Keys -- driving two monitors isn't such a good choice for the ATi, especially a SE version.

KEYSTONE is a digital soution for an optical PROJECTION issue -- what has it to do with the price of beans? 1184x664 is a good option if you need 720p timing -- create it in CCC

·
Registered
514 Posts
First, I'm a little unclear how you have the video card connected to the Mits. Are you using the VGA input on the Mits or the RGBVH connectors? I have a 55613 and the VGA input will only accept 640x480 @ 60 Hz. If you want to do other resolutions/timings, you need to get a VGA to RGBVH breakout cable and use the RGBVH inputs instead.

Second, I use powerstrip with a Radeon 9800 Pro and was able to set up several custom resolutions, but I had some trouble getting the driver to accept new resolutions while the video card was connected to the Mits. I ended up connecting the video card to a different monitor, setting up the custom resolutions on it, and then plugging the Mits back into the video card. The resolutions I had set up then worked on the Mits, and I could proceed to fine tune them.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
On your monitor 1/2 issue, there are two ways of setting it up.

1. Set the desired monitor 1 or 2 under windows display properties page.

2. Set the desired monitor 1 or 2 under CCC or the ATi Control Panel....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck
I know I'm not giving you specifics, but I think the ATi only supports HD on one of the ports. Also, I think the Mitsu only supports 1080i timing, so 1776x1000i should work as your default res since 1920x1080i usually has too much overscan. Try eliminating the complexity and use only the ATi to the Mitsu. Get that running and rebooting. On the chance you need to use your OTHER display, create CCC profiles and switch between them with Hot-Keys -- driving two monitors isn't such a good choice for the ATi, especially a SE version.

KEYSTONE is a digital soution for an optical PROJECTION issue -- what has it to do with the price of beans? 1184x664 is a good option if you need 720p timing -- create it in CCC
I'm not exactly sure but as far as I know the Mits takes my Denon's 480p signal just fine.

I have tried only connecting the MIts to the Vid card but every time I disconnect the Samsung I get the POST, Windows splash screen then nothing. This is after I have set the resolution @ 848X480 for the Mits as the Primary display and even uninstalled the Samsung from the Device Manager.

Now like I said before if I leave the Samsung connected the Mits comes up fine as the Desktop but the POST and splash screen appear on the Samsung.

Is there a way to make the Mitsubishi the "#1" monitor instead of the "#2" monitor? I'm not reffering to Primary and secondary.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma957
First, I'm a little unclear how you have the video card connected to the Mits. Are you using the VGA input on the Mits or the RGBVH connectors? I have a 55613 and the VGA input will only accept 640x480 @ 60 Hz. If you want to do other resolutions/timings, you need to get a VGA to RGBVH breakout cable and use the RGBVH inputs instead.

Second, I use powerstrip with a Radeon 9800 Pro and was able to set up several custom resolutions, but I had some trouble getting the driver to accept new resolutions while the video card was connected to the Mits. I ended up connecting the video card to a different monitor, setting up the custom resolutions on it, and then plugging the Mits back into the video card. The resolutions I had set up then worked on the Mits, and I could proceed to fine tune them.
I have the Mits connected via a VGA ro RGBHV breakout cable. I have eliminated the MYHD card all together at this point. I am merely trying to get the Mits to be the #1 Monitor and be able to boot windows to it without another monitor hooked up at all.

I have attempted to set the resolutions up while only having the Samsung connected then turning it off and connecting the Mits, then rebooting. But as said before I get POST, Splash,...nothing..

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Brian, does your Mits have a built in tuner? If not, no VGA right. I've read in the RPTV forum back then that people w/ Mits and built-in tuners can use VGA for high res but the manual only states 640x480. Sigma957 seems to have more updated info on this.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketech
On your monitor 1/2 issue, there are two ways of setting it up.

1. Set the desired monitor 1 or 2 under windows display properties page.

2. Set the desired monitor 1 or 2 under CCC or the ATi Control Panel....
I think you are confusing Primary/Secondary with 1 and 2.

You can set either one as primary but the card still sees them as 1 and 2.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketech
Brian, does your Mits have a built in tuner? If not, no VGA right. I've read in the RPTV forum back then that people w/ Mits and built-in tuners can use VGA for high res but the manual only states 640x480. Sigma957 seems to have more updated info on this.
Well when I've used the RGBHV breakout cable I get a usable desktop @ 848X480 it's only when I reboot that I get nothing?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.