AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not able to access the digital tuner setup in system setup. I purchased an OTA antenna at Radio Shack attached it to the Antenna In port on the back of my tv. The Digital Tuner Setup is just gray as opposed to white, and I cannot access it. Has anyone else had this problem? I've been searching the forum and using search engines, but can't seem to find anything. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By hitting the TV/DTV button a second time, I got into the Digital Tuner Setup. I started scanning for channels, and it took probably 10 minutes to get to 29%. At this point, it hadn't found a single channel so I turned it off.

I am located in the middle of Indianapolis, so I'm not sure why it's not picking anything up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now I think the antenna I bought it junk. I hooked it up to my old tube tv in the bedroom which has a west facing window, and it only found 5 channels, all of which were nothing but static. A program could only be recognized on one of the channels. I wouldn't think that my location in a first floor apartment would keep me from getting ANY channels, but I'm frustrated and completely clueless as to why this thing doesn't work.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
On some TV's it does take some time to scan the digital channels. But more importantly, you need to know how far away you are from the transmitters and which direction to point the antenna.

For starters go to tvfool.com, punch in your address, and post your results. Your address will not be shown don't worry. The results will help you get on the right track.

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29

After you get your results, it will ask you on top of the page "if you like to share the results," then a link in bold. Just copy and paste that link.

Your old tube TV probably picked up low power analog channels in your area

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones2289 /forum/post/19571313

I started scanning for channels, and it took probably 10 minutes to get to 29%. At this point, it hadn't found a single channel so I turned it off.

If it was taking that long, it was probably scanning for cable channels, not OTA channels. Look in your menus for an "antenna" versus "cable" choice.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wanted to let everyone know that I got it figured out. At first, it was only scanning for analog channels, and it brought up 0 channels found and 0% complete. I left it on that screen for a few minutes, and it began searching for digital channels. I can't believe how clear the are. It honestly looks better than the HD service I had with ATT Uverse.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones2289 /forum/post/19572267

Just wanted to let everyone know that I got it figured out. At first, it was only scanning for analog channels, and it brought up 0 channels found and 0% complete. I left it on that screen for a few minutes, and it began searching for digital channels. I can't believe how clear the are. It honestly looks better than the HD service I had with ATT Uverse.

Congrats. Looking at your TV fool report, you should have no problem picking up stations since your only about 7.5 miles away. All your stations are to the west, with the exception of MyNetwork Ch 23.1 to the NE.

How many stations do you get?

Also what kind of Radio Shack antenna do you have? You need a VHF/UHF combo since you have 2 VHF stations: 13.1 (NBC VHF Ch 13) and 8.1 ( CBS VHF Ch 9).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.