AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put together a new PC with a radeon 9500 pro, and am trying to get the DVI setup properly with my Sharp10k. I also want the vga output to work with my CRT monitor.

I currently have my the 1st output of the radeon set to 1280 x 1024 for my monitor, and the 2nd display set for 1280 x 720 @60hz for the projector.

The problem is..if I plug the dvi cable into the radeon, I loose the video to my monitor. Is this normal? Can the radeon display to both devices at the same time? Right now the only way to get to see a picture on my monitor is to unplug the dvi cable. This can't be right. Hopefully someone here can steer me in the right direction.

Mark

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
mmm...I'm experiencing the same thing with my pioneer 433cmx using the dvi connection on my 9500. The best results I've been able to achieve have been by using the dvi connection as monitor one and my computer monitor as monitor two. Then I have to check the box that says (something like) "extend my windows desktop to monitor two". This gives me a second desktop to work with and I have dragged over the icons of the programs that I use on the computer monitor, open them up once, and drag them over to the computer monitor. From then on when I open those programs, they operate on the monitor only. My "old" Ti4600 card had a great mode where the second screen (computer monitor) could be a duplicate of the first (plasma with dvi connection), but I havn't been able to duplicate that with the 9500 card. In short, you might try switching your dvi connection to one, and the computer monitor to two and checking the "extend desktop" box in the setup.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try making the dvi output #1 and see what happens.

As far as the "extend desktop" check box...isn't that so you can basically span 2 monitors with one windows desktop? That probably works the way ou are doing it, but sure seems like there should be an easier way.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I agree, I wish there was an easier way and maybe someone smarter than me (that should about everybody!) can show us both a trick or two. It's funny because you don't really allow the desktop to span two monitors in the same way my Ti would. I use it at work in a dual-monitor setup and set my resolution to 2560x768 with both monitors working together as one really wide one. With the 9500 I can drag things from one to the other, but the two desktops really operate independantly of each other. In general it kinda drives me nuts, but I've managed to find a couple of things I like about it. For example, I can surf the web on the computer monitor while watching a dvd on the plasma. Couldn't do that with the old card...

Let me know if you learn anything more.

I will say however, the picture quality when playing dvds has much improved and fusionHdtv clips play withough a glitch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.