AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm sure some of you remember me asking for help picking out speakers for my home theater these last couple months. I finally found something that I am truly happy with and I don't feel like I settled. I currently have the Denon AVR-1911 Receiver, and the HSU Research Enthusiast 2 Package which came with four HB-1 MK2 Bookshelf Speakers, one HC-1 MK2 Center Channel, and last but definitely not least, the VTF-2-MK-3 Sub. I am loving the sound quality and especially the bass that comes along with this package. There are only a couple issues I am having that stand out. First off, dialouge in movies seems a little lower than everything else. I have to turn up the speakers to hear the dialouge and then when an action sequence or the movie soundtrack comes on, BAM!!! It's very freaking loud. I was wondering if anyone else owns this set and might have some suggestions. I've also noticed that sometimes during a movie, some of the sound effects, especially from the center speaker don't seem like they're coming through. I currently have my PS3 as my Blu-Ray Player. It is in fact the new slim model so I have it set to bitstream for my HD Sound. I had the fat ps3 and decided to upgrade. Even though I knew I could do it through Linear PCM, I liked seeing on the Receiver that it said, Dolby HD or Master HD
Anyways, those are really the only complaints I have and they are minor. I freaking love these speakers. BTW, I have everything including the sub set to 80HZ Crossover. I let Audessy tweak the speakers and set them up however it wanted. The only thing I changed was the Crossover was set to 40HZ and I changed to 80HZ based on the recommendtion for HSU. I also have the sub set to One Port Open and have one of the Ports Plugged. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My friend was also a little concerned because my Receiver has 90 watts per channel and the speakers are rated for 100-250 watts per channel so he was thinking that I would even get close to their full potential. Sorry to keep rambling. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy
There are only a couple issues I am having that stand out. First off, dialouge in movies seems a little lower than everything else. I have to turn up the speakers to hear the dialouge and then when an action sequence or the movie soundtrack comes on, BAM!!! It's very freaking loud. I was wondering if anyone else owns this set and might have some suggestions. I've also noticed that sometimes during a movie, some of the sound effects, especially from the center speaker don't seem like they're coming through.
Hi JewDaddy, try setting "Dynamic Volume" to either Day or Evening mode.

As for the center speaker, it carries mainly dialog so you ready won't hear that much of special effect.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
This really sounds like a receiver configuration issue. Like JChin said, there are dynamic volume settings which can lower the dialogue and jack up the effects tracks. Try switching off or on Audyssey's dynamic volume feature. Also check the volume levels on the front left and right speakers compared to the center: make sure they aren't wildly uneven. It would also be worth asking about potential causes of the problem in the Denon 1911 thread in the receivers forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts