AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know other people have started similar threads. I read through some and just got confused. My TV / cable box / vcr was working fine. Now I have a Toshiba D-R7KC. I hooked it up by following the manual. I can change the input device to vcr or the dvd recorder. VCR works fine and I can watch all my digital channels live in stereo sound after switching to the dvd recorder. I cannot change channels with the DVD recorder remote control. Using the up/down channel buttons, I only get L1, L2 and 4. If I use the number buttons then the channel will change but the screen is all blue.

The screen was all black for every channel during the "auto channel preset". It sounds like the recorder is not receiving any channels. That's why the screen is black for every channel during the channel preset. Why? The channels are there because I can surf through them with my cable box remote. So the cable box sends the channels to the recorder and the recorder is able to send them to the tv even though the recorder can't receive the channels itself. That seems like a contradiction. How can it forward the channels to the tv if it can't receive them? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So where's the cable box in the diagram? Is the set-top-box the cable box? That would mean connecting the DVD recorder first, then the cable box and then the tv? If that's correct I'll try it, although that's definitely not the way the manual explains it.

Can I still have a splitter before the dvd recorder with one coax going to the dvd and the other to the vcr?

Thanks

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus1 /forum/post/15435903

So where's the cable box in the diagram? Is the set-top-box the cable box? That would mean connecting the DVD recorder first, then the cable box and then the tv? If that's correct I'll try it, although that's definitely not the way the manual explains it.

Can I still have a splitter before the dvd recorder with one coax going to the dvd and the other to the vcr?

Yes, the STB is the cable box, and you can use the splitter to get the cable signal to both the DVDR and the VCR. A high-quality 2-way splitter loses at least -3.7dB of signal thru each output leg but if your signal is strong enough, you won't notice a diff... the most likely place to notice signal loss is in the digital channels, which can "fall off the cliff" at the weak OR strong end of the signal... see note on the "Digital Cliff" at the bottom of that page on system connections for more info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.