AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a DVR card for my computer that accepts 16 BNC cables from my surveilance cameras.

The output video on the DVR card is a single RCA video out (yellow).

I ran structured wiring throughout my house that includes two coax cables. One coax is for my cable tv, and the other coax is for my security cameras.

I want to (or wanted to) go RCA video out from my DVR card to some type of splitter, that will convert the RCA video to multiple coax out, so that I can watch the surveilance video on every tv in the house.

Perhaps I am going about this the wrong way, and someone can give me advice on how to connect all of this. I want to be able to view the video signal from the DVR card, to every tv in the house.

I was also thinking... most tv's do not have multiple coax inputs... so i would be either able to hook up the cable OR the surveilance cable. Maybe I can convert (or create) an RCA video cable from the coax cable? This way I can split the RCA video out from the DVR card to multi RCA video out and connect via coax with an RCA terminal end?

Yike... anything will help... thanks so much- and if you are in the chicago area, I may hire you to come out haha

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Is there an unused cable that could send the video from the DVR to the structured wiring panel? If so (or if not and you could pull in another one), then you could utilize it to send the video from the DVR to the panel, where you would have an A/V distribution amplifier (such as the one here: http://cencom94.com/gpage8.html ) and distribute it each of your outlets utilizing the second coax at the outlet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats a nice switch, but I have RCA video out, and need to amplify and split to coax.

Maybe by an RF converter and feed into a coax amplifier...?

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
You could use a simple channel 3 RF modulator from the RCA composite video and distribute the RF channel 3 normally thru splitters, good for probably up to four TVs, beyond that an amplifier would probably be needed to avoid signal degradation.

To distribute composite video (not RF) to multiple displays you would need a distribution amplifier with multiple outputs since each display has a load of 75ohms typically and the source only expects one 75 ohm load. To connect more than one with an amplifier which separately drives each load would cause loss of contrast and signal levels.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfly123 /forum/post/14331872

Thats a nice switch, but I have RCA video out, and need to amplify and split to coax.

Maybe by an RF converter and feed into a coax amplifier...?

I guess we can assume, then, that you mean convert the output of the DVR to r.f. for distribution and not just convert the output to coax for distribution. Two very different things.

You could use the coax for either composite video distribution and keep it baseband throughout or, as joxer mentioned, modulate the DVR to a TV channel and distribute it that way. You could use either a cheap channel 3 modulator and an amplifier (The last time I measured the output of one of those modulators, it only put out 5dBmV. Enough to feed 2 TVs, but any more than that and there would need to be an amplifier.), or you could go with one of the modulators at http://www.cencom94.com/gpage8.html . Most modulators, regardless of the manufacturer have audio inputs, so you could connect, say, a radio and have music as you watch your DVR.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts