AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello

For the last few weeks while watching movies, I have been hearing a thumping/rumbling noise. First I thought it was my tv, but after pausing - the noise is still there. It is not constant, it's intermittent and not in any pattern etc. I have gone outside to listen but the ambient noises of light traffic etc, seems to hide it. It is a low rumbling/vibrational sound. I have lived here 6 years and have never had any issues. It is not the usual ambient traffic noise - buses, planes etc.

I have put my 'ear to the wall' on both ends of the house - but can't locate it. There is 30ft of grass space btw my neighbour and I. His living room wall is facing my living room wall. Shortly after Xmas, I noticed that he had empty speaker boxes (3-4ft high) sitting outside waiting to go to garbage.

I have spoken with him about the noise, and he says he keeps it at such and such level - and that he shuts the sub off when his girlfriend goes to bed around 10pm. He also stated that she hears it too, thought it was him making the noise. He claims that he has had a home theatre for 3 years, which I haven't had any issue with or even noticed. But he did get new tower speakers just after Xmas. The next day after speaking to him - I never heard anything that night. He mentioned it could be underground water in our area, or the electrical room for our complex with the not-so-Smart meters - which is also next to my place. I do hear a slight hum from them when putting ear to wall, but it is constant.

I also had broke my punctured my eardrum a few weeks back as well - don't know if this has anything to do with it, I never noticed this noise before.  

My girlfriend (32), who has slight hearing loss from work says can't hear it and said when she went outside, the neighbour had the door/window open and was playing tv and she said it was very very low and that because I was inside watching our tv at the time, and not hearing the offending sound at that time - therefore it isn't him. I mentioned to her that not everyone plays there tv/movies always at the same level though.

1) How can I locate this sound, so I can have whoever is doing it to stop? This noise is driving me nuts - I can't relax in my own home. I can hear it even over my own tv and it is annoying as hell. Even when I go to bed.

2) Is it possible that even though my neighbour 'claims' to play his home theatre low - that sound or pressure coming out of the back ports of his speakers (facing my place) could be causing this? BUT, wouldn't I hear it outside though??

3) If it is my neighbour - how do I prove it? 

4) How can I hear it inside the house and not outside - is it because sound and vibrational output from speakers are not the same? Or too much ambient outside noise?

I don't want to have to go outside at night and sneak around just to try and figure this out but I don't know what else to do - it is literally causing my a lot of stress and anxiety.I don't want to write a letter of complaint to the condo board accusing someone until I have some proof.

Please help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I thought so too, but it isn't the furnace. I unplugged the fridge, turned off the furnace, paused the tv - it is still there.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Actually a few years ago, when I had a condo, I had kind of the same problem. It turned out to be the sliding door to my deck resonating from the traffic. The strange part is it did it for a while then just stopped. Not sure it was the same sound you are getting though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie  /t/1523747/need-help-sound-experts#post_24522284

Actually a few years ago, when I had a condo, I had kind of the same problem. It turned out to be the sliding door to my deck resonating from the traffic. The strange part is it did it for a while then just stopped. Not sure it was the same sound you are getting though.
Annoyingly similar but not quite the same but thanks for the reply. I checked everything in the house and still hear it when my tv is off, furnace off, flame going up the flue from the hot water tank, dryer etc.

I just don't know why I cant hear it when I go outside though?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster  /t/1523747/need-help-sound-experts#post_24523182

One easy way to rule out the neighbour's HT system is to coordinate a time and ask him to turn on and off his system while you're on the phone with him to test if the sound you're hearing comes and goes. This is assuming you're in good terms with him.
Well, I don't really trust this person to be honest. Have caught him in lies before....

He is the typical mid 20's kid with the over inflated sense of self entitlement.....AND he is on the Condo board or Strata council as its called here in Canada.

It did keep me awake until 1am last night though. I went outside to have a look around the complex here last night and there was only 2 units that were awake/had lights on. His was one of them - and I could see the tv on when I walked down the driveway. I also kept checking out my window every 15min. to see when his lights went out. Sure enough - the noise stopped @12:55am and the lights were out around that time as well.

That way sounds logical tezster but this would be assuming the person is acting honestly. This individual has questionable integrity.

I just don't know why I cant hear it when outside but can inside - there's 30ft btw our units? Would ports on the back of the towers cause this since they'd be facing me place?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The sound I heard was not the same outside, it was the sliding door resonating. So if the neighbor it could be your wall/window or what ever resonating. I am really only guessing though.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts

I'd try to work with your neighbor, cooperatively, to determine if his audio system is the cause. Get both of you on the phone when you can hear it and ask him to pause it - if the noise stops, it's him. If it doesn't, then you have to keep looking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701  /t/1523747/need-help-sound-experts#post_24528571

I'd try to work with your neighbor, cooperatively, to determine if his audio system is the cause. Get both of you on the phone when you can hear it and ask him to pause it - if the noise stops, it's him. If it doesn't, then you have to keep looking.
Thanks, will try that out.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig13  /t/1523747/need-help-sound-experts#post_24528338

Well, I don't really trust this person to be honest. Have caught him in lies before....

He is the typical mid 20's kid with the over inflated sense of self entitlement.....AND he is on the Condo board or Strata council as its called here in Canada.

It did keep me awake until 1am last night though. I went outside to have a look around the complex here last night and there was only 2 units that were awake/had lights on. His was one of them - and I could see the tv on when I walked down the driveway. I also kept checking out my window every 15min. to see when his lights went out. Sure enough - the noise stopped @12:55am and the lights were out around that time as well.

That way sounds logical tezster but this would be assuming the person is acting honestly. This individual has questionable integrity.

I just don't know why I cant hear it when outside but can inside - there's 30ft btw our units? Would ports on the back of the towers cause this since they'd be facing me place?

Thanks

Weird.

I think that if it is the neighbors system you should be able to hear at least something outside the house too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie  /t/1523747/need-help-sound-experts#post_24528456

The sound I heard was not the same outside, it was the sliding door resonating. So if the neighbor it could be your wall/window or what ever resonating. I am really only guessing though.
Hi Glenn

But could you hear it outside though?

There is only an outside wall from my living room - then the 30ft of grass -  then his outside wall. He has hardwood floors and I do too.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
It was not the same sound I heard outside, but I lived in the city so I figured it most have been some kind of construction.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks  /t/1523747/need-help-sound-experts#post_24528735

Weird.

I think that if it is the neighbors system you should be able to hear at least something outside the house too.
Thats what I thought too. But I think it is low frequency vibrations and thumping that get drowned out by the higher pitched traffic and ambient noise outside. I dont know = thats why I came here to figure out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie  /t/1523747/need-help-sound-experts#post_24529129

It was not the same sound I heard outside, but I lived in the city so I figured it most have been some kind of construction.
I have heard of things similar to your story. Pretty rare and the least expected for sure. Who woulda thought the damn patio door hey?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
"I also had broke my punctured my eardrum a few weeks back as well - don't know if this has anything to do with it, I never noticed this noise before."

Have you discussed this intermittent thumping and rumbling with your ENT doctor? I am not one, just an internist, but your symptoms may be a form of tinnitus.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by snpanago  /t/1523747/need-help-sound-experts#post_24532224

"I also had broke my punctured my eardrum a few weeks back as well - don't know if this has anything to do with it, I never noticed this noise before."

Have you discussed this intermittent thumping and rumbling with your ENT doctor? I am not one, just an internist, but your symptoms may be a form of tinnitus.
I have an appointment tomorrow with an Audiologist. I will start there. I always thought tinnitus was ringing - can it be rumbling, thumping too?

It's just coincidence that recently the speakers were bought - and I hear the noise only after breaking my eardrum. Maybe increased the sensitivity - who knows....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts