AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i'm trying to make a decision on what i should do for surround speakers. currently i have a Yamaha HTR-6240 reciver and JBL ES series Speakers Two ES-10's in the front, ES-25C Center and a ES-150 Sub. Now I no its late in the game to question my speakers but here it is. Im looking for a awesome home theater system and i'm pretty new at this so i need some direction. I'm thinking of adding a Emotiva XPA-5 200 watts RMS @ 8 ohm per channel and I'm looking for the right speakers to go with it, I don't want any towers and im looking to spend around $500 a pair x 2 and around $600 for a Sub but if it's worth it i could go a little over buget so before i go shoping for some JBL rear speakers let me know am i crazy? I have looked a brands like B&W, Martin Logan (Motion Series) and paradigm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
check out mirage and jamo for a sub. i install alot of the mirage subs they sound great with little to no distortion even at the real low end. jamo is real nice too but pretty pricey. although for your budget you could get something pretty good.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
For me, I would say skip the XPA 5 amp. Take that budget along with the rest of the speaker budget and buy three nice front speakers and move the current JBL speakers as surrounds. Take the subwoofer budget and get myself a good sub at HSU, SVS, epik, eD. I feel you'll get a bigger improvement by buying really good speakers than adding an Emotiva amp and short-changing your speaker with a lower budget.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input on the subs. any specific brands for front's,rears and center. I've been looking at a lot of other peoples setups and have noticed quite a few who have added amps. do i need to add a amp for better sound? or is the receiver i have good enough?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The biggest impact is speaker and than subwoofer. The least impact is the amp. An amp is nice to have if your speaker is power hungry like a 4 ohm speaker like Polk LSi.

After my Onkyo 805 broke down, I had the option to buy another mid-range receiver or go with a low end receiver and add an amp and still come out with equal price of a mid range receiver....that was a no brainer for me...Go with the low end receiver+amp option.Now, I do like the receiver+amp and what it has done for my system but electronics was a need. To be able to add an amp to a receiver, you have to make sure that receiver have Pre-Out. You'll need to connect the amp using rca cables to your receiver's preamp outputs.

If electronic is not a need. Your biggest improvement is to improve your speakers, mainly your front 3 speakers: Left, Center, Right. Make sure they match in make and model. Your surrounds is not as critical to match, especially for HT use. You might want to eventually match them for music.

Speakers are such a personal taste. How do you like the JBL so far? Maybe you can look into JBL L830 series if you like how JBL sounds. Buying a different brand may look mis-match in your room, will it bother you? There are lots brands, find if there is any store that specializes in HT. Audition them from cheap to expensive to see if you can tell the difference what each price level brings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, some very good points. So far I have no complaints with the jbls but im not really blown away either. I don't expect much from a standard "best buy" setup though. So i'm looking to upgrade beyond that with speakers/receiver and maby a amp that will really set them apart. I live in the GTA and I'm not to familiar with any specialty stores so any suggestions would help. I'm not planning on doing any mix and matching so i'll probably just sell what i have now. I checked out the specs on my HTR-6240 and it says there are "Pre-Out All Channels (Surr. Back Only). so im guessing only for the rears? There are just so many brands that claim to deliver the best so it's hard to pull the truly good ones from that pile. Has anyone tried or have knowledge on the emotiva brand of speakers? ie. the ERM-6.2 LCR Monitors. The price seams fairly cheap but i really don't know much about them. and iv'e been reading that the paradigm's are a good speaker for the money. Just not sure I would be making a significant upgrade.

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.