AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Im seriously having a hard time deciding on a subwoofer. For starters, im using a Klipsch system, RF-63 fronts, Rc-64 center, and RS-62 rears. I need a sub. I dont want to spend anymore than $2000- on something. Speaking with my local sound guy, he suggests a pair of klipsch RSW-10d's. He mentions the driver speed on a 10" will be alot faster than that of a 12" or larger which in turn will deliver tighter base, is this correct? How far off is the diference between a 10" and a 12"?

I was looking at the Klipsch RT-10D and the JL Fathom F110 Next question is how low the sub goes, I see the klipsch Rt-10d hits as low as 22-120hz where as a JL Fathom ranges from 27-111, i know there is more to it than that, like how bad the sub provides audible distortion at that freq, and how loud (db rating) the sub is at that volume, is this correct? On the JL site for the Fathom 10, i see numbers like -3 dB at 25 Hz / 120 Hz OR -10 dB at 19 Hz / 155 Hz What do they mean?

There is an ocean of information to sift through, im trying to make a respectable choice while still being able to range within my budget, Im also considering the look of the woofer/cabinet assembly. Keeping this in mind, I really like the way the Klipsch woofers look as well as the look of the JL Fathom series, Im debating on the F110, the RT-12d, and the RT-10d. How do you guys feel about a 10vs a 12" driver, and what do you think would be right for me in regards that mentioned above and as far as these woofers matching my current system?

Thanks,

Aaron

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm storm /forum/post/12878736

Hey guys,

Im seriously having a hard time deciding on a subwoofer. For starters, im using a Klipsch system, RF-63 fronts, Rc-64 center, and RS-62 rears. I need a sub. I dont want to spend anymore than $2000- on something. Speaking with my local sound guy, he suggests a pair of klipsch RSW-10d's. He mentions the driver speed on a 10" will be alot faster than that of a 12" or larger which in turn will deliver tighter base, is this correct? How far off is the diference between a 10" and a 12"?

I was looking at the Klipsch RT-10D and the JL Fathom F110 Next question is how low the sub goes, I see the klipsch Rt-10d hits as low as 22-120hz where as a JL Fathom ranges from 27-111, i know there is more to it than that, like how bad the sub provides audible distortion at that freq, and how loud (db rating) the sub is at that volume, is this correct? On the JL site for the Fathom 10, i see numbers like -3 dB at 25 Hz / 120 Hz OR -10 dB at 19 Hz / 155 Hz What do they mean?

There is an ocean of information to sift through, im trying to make a respectable choice while still being able to range within my budget, Im also considering the look of the woofer/cabinet assembly. Keeping this in mind, I really like the way the Klipsch woofers look as well as the look of the JL Fathom series, Im debating on the F110, the RT-12d, and the RT-10d. How do you guys feel about a 10vs a 12" driver, and what do you think would be right for me in regards that mentioned above and as far as these woofers matching my current system?

Thanks,

Aaron

ask your local sound guy how fast the 10 and 12 is in mph.

how low they go? ahh the trade off ... the bigger the driver (same xmax), the lower they can go.

the driver speed thing is a myth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/12878831

You will get a lot more sub for less money going with the internet direct sub companies. No question about this.

Internet direct sub companies? What do you mean by this?

Aaron

·
Registered
214 Posts
Check out the Epik or HSU or SVS brands because you can get a lot more sub for the price. But usually they have much larger cabinets with bigger drivers. You could probably get an RT-12D for 2000 and that is what Klipsch recommends as the sub to match you towers. The 12" drivers would be better for you because they can go to lower frequencies easier, which is what you want for movies, where as music you wouldn't need to go as low.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Look at the CRAIGSUB thread. You will see a lot of SUBs independantly tested and rated including the three brands Canadian_Dude mentioned. For your $2000, you can get two subs that should each blow away any Klipsch sub. And I am not anti-klipsch. I have RF-82s, and an RC-52. I also have used RS-3s on the way(can't buy them new).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts