AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of research, I narrowed down my next sub to the Outlaw or Epik based on many reviews I've read, however I ran across a great price on the Supercube.

That being said, if the price is similar for all three, which should I choose?

My HT is around 2000 cu ft, and I am looking to use it 70% movies/sports and 30% music.

p.s. I know about the specs on the DT being misleading, and when the Outlaws go on sale, they beat all of these in terms of value. Also ruled out the Hsu since they are similar to the outlaw, and the Rythmik already.

Just looking for overall opinions.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
you ruled out the HSU cause they are similar to the outlaw????

HSU vtf-2 Mk3 is currently on sale and you have months till the next outlaw sale

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would still get them, but I would just prefer the glass top on the Outlaw. So if it came down to it, I may fork over a little more on the Outlaws.

I guess I am just trying to determine the best sub for my room, since costs are so similar.

I know the Supercube I is probably not worth MSRP, and will be blown away by many other ID subs, but at half the price, its hard for me to guage if it becomes more worth it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at the Rythmik, and didn't quite pass the wife test.

I did like some of the other ones on Rythmik, but the cost goes up pretty quick. Trying to stay under $600.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I would expect the Outlaw to be better for deep bass and flat FR, and the Legend to have more mid and upper bass output, at least if the Empire's max output FR is anything to go by. What is more important to you should determine your decision.

·
Registered
9 Posts
First, let me say that I have posted about this in detail on my forums at itnewsyoucanuse.com. Since I'm new to posting here, I cannot give the direct link--it's easy to find though.

I have an LFM-1 Plus, a Supercube II, and two Supercube reference subs. The Outlaw doesn't put out nearly the depth at volume as the reference subs, but it is incredibly musical, and MORE than enough for my 20'x25' media room. It takes up quite a bit more room, and the Supercube II is about the same when it comes to volume. I'd not compare the Supercube I and the Outlaw--not fair. The Reference quite literally blows the Outlaw away--and it should--in terms of displacement, power and price, as does the Supercube I. Things I like about each:

Supercube II:

1.) Very small.

2.) Extremely powerful, compared to any subwoofer three times it's size.

3.) Very kind to placement issues--analog phase alignment.

4.) Very tight bass response (is this due to the enclosed/non-ported design?)

5.) Extremely low bass extension for movies.

Outlaw LFM-1 Plus:

1.) Very well built.

2.) Inexpensive compared to any other sub of similar build quality/power.

3.) Low power compared with the supercube II, with similar output.

4.) Very musical when one port is plugged, very loud when both ports are unplugged for films.

5.) Extremely low bass extension.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts