AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 5 years removed from college, I think I have finally gotten to the point of no longer being able to stand my setup for home theater. I have recently purchased a pioneer 1120 receiver (i hope that will be powerful enough to accomplish the setup I would like), but have yet to dive into new speakers. I currently have the polk 6750 setup for surround sound and a couple of crappy floor speakers I got 10+ years ago for $200. With this new receiver, I can now tell how bad the speakers really are. I am hearing lots distortion and even a little feedback in the speakers.

Anyway, in order to significantly upgrade my system, I have scoured this forum to find ideas. I don't want to be redundant in my question as I have seen a few threads with similar questions posed, however, I think prior posts regarding similar issues are trying to get a whole setup all at one time. I do not have the kind of budget right now to do that, and do it well. So I figured I would tackle this a little differently.

Now that I have the receiver, I think I will go for 2 floor speakers and maybe a center channel now. My budget right now will allow me to spend about $1000. At some point, 3-6 months down the road, I would like to get a sub and surround speakers.

I watch a lot of movies, sports and some music. Probably 40% sports, 20% general tv watching, 30% movies and 10% music.

With $1000 right now, what should I get first? I assume the floor speakers but which kind? Unfortunately, I'm stuck in Kansas City and there is only 1 or two dealers with upgraded stuff besides the in the box crap at BB. I have looked at a ton of stuff online but I cant find any local dealers to actually go listen. I am considering energy, paradigm, nht, definitive, etc....Am i missing anything?

By the way, the room is about 25 by 15 and normal 10ft ceilings.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

**by the way i see the energy speakers on woot today but im concerned picking those up since they are discontinued, i want to be able to match up equivalent speakers later

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds5x8 /forum/post/19540621

So 5 years removed from college, I think I have finally gotten to the point of no longer being able to stand my setup for home theater. I have recently purchased a pioneer 1120 receiver (i hope that will be powerful enough to accomplish the setup I would like), but have yet to dive into new speakers. I currently have the polk 6750 setup for surround sound and a couple of crappy floor speakers I got 10+ years ago for $200. With this new receiver, I can now tell how bad the speakers really are. I am hearing lots distortion and even a little feedback in the speakers.

Anyway, in order to significantly upgrade my system, I have scoured this forum to find ideas. I don't want to be redundant in my question as I have seen a few threads with similar questions posed, however, I think prior posts regarding similar issues are trying to get a whole setup all at one time. I do not have the kind of budget right now to do that, and do it well. So I figured I would tackle this a little differently.

Now that I have the receiver, I think I will go for 2 floor speakers and maybe a center channel now. My budget right now will allow me to spend about $1000. At some point, 3-6 months down the road, I would like to get a sub and surround speakers.

I watch a lot of movies, sports and some music. Probably 40% sports, 20% general tv watching, 30% movies and 10% music.

With $1000 right now, what should I get first? I assume the floor speakers but which kind? Unfortunately, I'm stuck in Kansas City and there is only 1 or two dealers with upgraded stuff besides the in the box crap at BB. I have looked at a ton of stuff online but I cant find any local dealers to actually go listen. I am considering energy, paradigm, nht, definitive, etc....Am i missing anything?

By the way, the room is about 25 by 15 and normal 10ft ceilings.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

**by the way i see the energy speakers on woot today but im concerned picking those up since they are discontinued, i want to be able to match up equivalent speakers later

Welcome from one KC peep to another. What type of sound do you prefer? I think you are asking one of the hardest questions of all to answer. Most of this entirely depends on what the listener likes. I went through many speakers being in the same boat as you. No place to really audition speakers. I went through the Polk thing. While I love the Monitor 70s and they are decent speakers it wasn't the sound I wanted in the Primary HT room. I had grabbed other types of speakers and read quite a bit on some of the experts describing them and took some more chances here and there until I found some KEFs. Something about the sound to my ears with quite a few of their lineup after hearing various models. A few models and combination later I have decided my next set up will be the IQ series. I think with the brands you have listed you probably can't go wrong at all its just the question of, "will I like X better then Y regardless of how great Y sounds?". That is tough.

I think what would be most beneficial is if people can communicate the sound experience and what they like and dislike about the brands listed. (I am not qualified to participate as I am certain I have KEF fever
) Hopefully you update us with your decisions and thoughts once you get everything set up. Should be some good general comparisons here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input Brandon. I have heard a little about KEF but not much. Where do you go in kc to check out the superior brands? I havent found much besides independence audio.

Im not sure what sound I like the most as i am just starting out in the endeavor. I know I watch a lot of movies that have great action in them and i love the full sound with very good highs and lows. right now the sub i have is way underpowered and easily distorts the bass from movies. I''ve been told for my first real setup, I probably couldnt go wrong with any of the things i've looked at and a few years or so down the road after exploring other options, i will learn what sound I like...is that accurate?

I am unfortunately swayed by great deals and this energy rc-70 speaker on woot today is begging me to buy it, sound unheard. If they are available when i get home from work tonight they might end up being my choice because of the deal.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Lots of ways to go. You could go with super deluxe speakers up front and a cheap get-you-by-for-now subwoofer, and then wait on the surrounds. Or a balanced approach, or subwoofer centric system (not a bad idea).

Option 1:

This is a deluxe speaker option. A pair of long discontinued Boston Acoustics BR3 towers with bundled VRC center from OneCall . These are rear ported and need 18-24" behind them and at least 2 feet to the nearest side wall but are kick but speakers. I've owned them and they are great speakers. Add a $190 get you by for now sub from Bic or Dayton and you have speakers that are super easy to drive and won't need replacing down the road. Add surrounds and a second (larger) sub down the road.

Option 2:

Balanced system. I know you said no Polks but the discontinued Polk Monitor 70 towers from Buy.com (black or cherry) and a matched CS2 center (black slightly higher) leaves you $500 for a decent subwoofer and isolation pad. Trust me the Monitor 70 sounds a heck of a lot better than the RM6700.

Option 3:

2 Infinity Primus P162 bookshelves, a PC250 center, and a Hsu Research VTF-3 MK3 subwoofer . Later add P152 bookshelves as surrounds.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds5x8 /forum/post/19541118

Thanks for the input Brandon. I have heard a little about KEF but not much. Where do you go in kc to check out the superior brands? I havent found much besides independence audio.

Im not sure what sound I like the most as i am just starting out in the endeavor. I know I watch a lot of movies that have great action in them and i love the full sound with very good highs and lows. right now the sub i have is way underpowered and easily distorts the bass from movies. I''ve been told for my first real setup, I probably couldnt go wrong with any of the things i've looked at and a few years or so down the road after exploring other options, i will learn what sound I like...is that accurate?

I am unfortunately swayed by great deals and this energy rc-70 speaker on woot today is begging me to buy it, sound unheard. If they are available when i get home from work tonight they might end up being my choice because of the deal.

A lot of good peeps at Indep audio. Were you around when Ultimate Electronics was in town? For me I had 2 friends that were using various brands nothing I would consider highend but in what I would consider classes above what I was using (imagine that Polk!). Mainly we were all in same boat. We'd get something show it off to each other. It'd get old, move it to another room\\sell it and repeat.
. I stumbled across a stupid deal on a KEF series @ Circuit City I had a chance to pick up for next to nothing. Fell in love immediately. Tried some other comparable speakers close to their internet price range. I am not qualified to suggest this brand because I have heard 3 series of their sats, and a pair of legacy floorstandings 2 were in different environments and these are amazing to my ears. My disclaimer would be that I am certain there are better speakers out there and probably cheaper and realistically my experience is all entry level but there was always something about the KEFs to my ears of course. Just ridiculously clear and a sound stage that was always perfect for my environment and my usage. I am completely contempt blindly buying my next series (hopefully tomorrow thru Monday) of KEFs IQ Series.

For what its worth I think the decision of your purchase order is great. I can't wait to read peoples impressions and comments regarding their set ups.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Check out PSB if your still browsing, they have some good speakers in their line ups. The older T65 or T55 would be a good starting point high sensitivty ratings and can take lots of power. I haven't had a chance to check out the new T6 but I've been wanting to they seem like a good product. If the energys don't work out for you I would check these out.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I am a big fan of great highs and lows as well and thats well I fell in love with Klipsch, I would definately take a look at some RF-82's or something similar to that before you make a decision. They should be in your price range around this time of year and to my ear they are fantastic. The worst thing you could do is run out and buy something right away, take your time because as you know you will have them for a while.

Had to mention Klipsch cause no one else did

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
19,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garretwp /forum/post/19543419

Why not step up to the VR3's? He would still be with in his budget of $1000.

- Garrett

He can do that and save up for a decent sub - The VR3 has

pretty good bass for a tower.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big ****** /forum/post/19541620

These are not Klipsch but I just came across them and thought they may be worth taking a look at. Shipped to your door. Fantastic deal on them

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cate...productId=7202

And heres a sub

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cate...2&productId=80

All for under $1000

I tried to hustle my Monitor 70s and CS2 I have had since May for $325 pick up since I am local. Also my BIC PL-200 I have had for 3 weeks. He is really moving away from Polk!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the help guys, i will certainly check out the options presented. In the mean time, I went ahead and took that deal on woot before it sold out. I am going to keep exploring other options to make sure I like what I bought and if i do find something I like better, i will flip the rc-70's. I got such a good deal on them, I should be able to get rid of them if I didnt like them. I appreciate all the feedback.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds5x8 /forum/post/19547695

thanks for all the help guys, i will certainly check out the options presented. In the mean time, I went ahead and took that deal on woot before it sold out. I am going to keep exploring other options to make sure I like what I bought and if i do find something I like better, i will flip the rc-70's. I got such a good deal on them, I should be able to get rid of them if I didnt like them. I appreciate all the feedback.

Post back and let us know what you think once you get them broke in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
just got the rc-70's! all i can say is wow! I am so impressed. I couldnt expect anything more for that deal. I strongly recommend energy now!

I have been running them for a few hours now at moderate volume (energy rep said thats fine as long as i dont try to extend them to far). They sound so clean, and have a much fuller sound than the polk's. Im no audiophile by any means but to my ears, this was a significant upgrade. looking forward to upgrading the rest of my system now.

Thanks for all the feedback. This site is great!

·
Registered
29,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds5x8 /forum/post/19578827

just got the rc-70's! all i can say is wow! I am so impressed. I couldnt expect anything more for that deal. I strongly recommend energy now!

I have been running them for a few hours now at moderate volume (energy rep said thats fine as long as i dont try to extend them to far). They sound so clean, and have a much fuller sound than the polk's. Im no audiophile by any means but to my ears, this was a significant upgrade. looking forward to upgrading the rest of my system now.

Thanks for all the feedback. This site is great!

Were you able to grab the matching RC LCR for $250 on woot today? They sold out pretty quickly once the AVS Energy fans found out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no, i was pretty bummed out about it. i was away from my desk when they popped up. I had been waiting for 2 days!! oh well. The more I think about it, the more I realize, I dont have the space for the lcr right now and might just pick up the rc-mini. It would be nice to have the lcr but it would sit in a box, until i get a new tv and wall mount it. I hope the mini will be ok

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.