·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have these to choose from:

Energy ESW-V10 and ESW-V8

Velodyne Subwoofer (DSP-12B) and VRP1200 and DLS4000R

KEF PSW2500 and PSW2150B

Another quest is that is it better to have 2 ESW-V8 or get a really huge one like 15" Powered Home Subwoofer

VELODYNE DLS5000R.

The ESW-V8's are on sale on my city for 300 bucks.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
No you don't. You have to

1.Forget those

2.State your budget and application

3.Read the replies and pick one of the good ID subwoofers.

·
Registered
469 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fair enough. My budget is max $800 bucks. It will be used for a home theater (my receiver is the Yamaha RX-V663 or htr-6160). I have a "no name brand" center, front. surround speakers, no sub. I'm looking for a sub. The Energy ESW-V10 is $700 but the ESW-V8 is on sale for 300.

Is the ESW-V8 enough power for my system with the area i have?

Should i get another ESW-V8 or get one higher rated sub?

Should i just get the ESW-V8 and spend the rest of my money on better floor standing speakers?

Cheers!

As for choosing the good ID subs, I'm in Canada so the names are different. There is not a whole lot of selection from my area and I would like to stay on the stores instead of an online purchase.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
You dont wanna stick with the stores, there are no good subwoofers for your money that sell in physical stores. I know it might seem risky to buy something without auditioning, but there are thousands of people who bought subwoofers from ID brands widely discussed on this forum and roughly 100% of them are in love with theirs. Most ID brands can ship to Canada, but it can get expensive to ship. However if I remember correctly SVS sells subwoofers in canada, a pb12-nsd fits your budget and would decimate Energy's KEF's etc.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I would agree with the PB12 from sonicboomaudio.com. But if you want to keep it to B&M, then I would go with the Velo DPS-12 or DLS-5000R if you want to go bigger. I have owned the DPS-10 and it was a good sub, but was easily defeated by my eD A2-300 for the same money.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW, is the pb12-nsd too much or just perfect for the area(30 sq ft) and my Yamaha RX-V663/htr-6160 receiver. should i go for pb12-nsd?

·
Registered
6,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashiro81 /forum/post/14193361

BTW, is the pb12-nsd too much or just perfect for the area(30 sq ft) and my Yamaha RX-V663/htr-6160 receiver. should i go for pb12-nsd?

30 square feet is an area the size of 5.5 ft X 5.5 ft. Kind of a tight fit for that subwoofer and anything else!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yashiro - Stick to the system you know best, because clearly you're getting your imperial and metric dimensions confused.

1 meter = 3.937 feet.

1 square meter = 3.937 * 3.937 = 15.5 square feet

300 square meters = 4650 square feet.

I doubt your home theatre is 4650 square feet, considering my 4-floor townhome is only 1500 square feet.

Greg

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm just gonna laugh it off how stupidly confusing my post was (again apologies). But anyway I'm waiting for the subs to ship. I just need to know what kind of cables i should get for the subs.

Is it better to hook the rest of my speakers to the back of the sub or just plug everything to my receiver.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You need 1 RCA cable from the LFE/Subwoofer output of your receiver to the LFE input on the subwoofer. Configure your receiver so that it knows a subwoofer is present, set the receiver's subwoofer crossover for 80 Hz, set the subwoofer's crossover for 120Hz or higher, and all speakers to "small" in the receiver. That will be a good starting point for further tuning. There are a lot of threads on this forum dedicated to subwoofer setup.

What sub(s) did you get? Did you ever figure out how big your room really is? =)

Greg

·
Premium Member
26,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashiro81 /forum/post/14198522

I'm just gonna laugh it off how stupidly confusing my post was (again apologies). But anyway I'm waiting for the subs to ship. I just need to know what kind of cables i should get for the subs.

Is it better to hook the rest of my speakers to the back of the sub or just plug everything to my receiver.

Your receiver should have connections on the back to output the signal to each speaker and sub. Use those connections. The speakers will require speaker wire. The sub will require a simple analog cable. Monoprice is a etailer that has reasonable prices.

The best way to think of the receiver is it decodes the souce's audio signal (dvd player for example), that adds amplification to the signal and sends it to the speakers and sub.

Edit: Having an opportunity to think about your situation. I would highly recommend reviewing your receiver's manual. This may seem like an obvious suggestion....but being a newbie to this hobby, the manual can serve as a good basis for broader knowledge about the audio side of hobby. It will explain how to hook up your set up (speakers/sub/source components etc). Plus, it will run through some the terms and audio codecs used in the hobby. Sadly, for many new and old to the hobby, the manual is an untapped resource of information. About 50 % of the questions that come up on this site could be answered by breaking open the manual for the answers. Of course, some are written better than others...but it will get you started on a better understanding of your equipment. Good Luck

·
Registered
806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong /forum/post/14197424

Yashiro - Stick to the system you know best, because clearly you're getting your imperial and metric dimensions confused.

1 meter = 3.937 feet.

1 square meter = 3.937 * 3.937 = 15.5 square feet

300 square meters = 4650 square feet.

I doubt your home theatre is 4650 square feet, considering my 4-floor townhome is only 1500 square feet.

Greg

Uh, Ok, so which one is it for you?... Fathoms 6.08 feet or 1.8288 meters.

3.28083989501312 feet per meter (thank you Google)

That aside square feet isn't the issue entirely, you need room dimensions and cubic feet (yes we live in three dimensions, not two).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts