AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out if I can go with a projector. Because of my budget, I can only spend $1100. I want to know if there is a projector that I can get for this price range (including the cost to build a 100 inch DIY screen) that would have as good a picture as a 65 inch LCD TV of the same price. Is it possible to get the same picture quality, or should I just go with the LCD TV? All help and feedback is greatly greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
There are several 1080p PJs that are under $1,000 and you can build a DIY screen for About $50.

Benq W1000

Vivitek H1080FD

Optoma HD20

There are also a few 720p PJs for a couple hundred less than that.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
If you have good room dimensions and characteristics that you can completely control ambient light in then you can't compare the visual experience of a projector and screen with a small tv like the 65in you mention.

We have a 60in HDTV and the box in BIG print says "Home Theater Television" but, of course, a television can't create a Theater sized visual experience (at least not those available today).

The negative of front projection is the need to sit in near darkness to get the best screen image so with regard to day-to-day television viewing the 65in TV is a superior viewing choice.

Our experience is that our projector is best for a "at the movies" experience but we much prefer out TV for all other content viewing. In our view - TVs can't be compared with projector/screen - the applications are too different and size really does matter when wanting a true Theater sized experience.

So far as price - if you are a determined shopper you can find a good projector and screen within your budget. We bought our Panasonic HT format PJ for $600 as a model/floor model closeout and I found our Da-lite fixed wall screen for $50 at a close out shop. I found the 80in pull down screen I use in the garage as a secondary movie venue for $50 at that same closeout shop.

Craigslist is a good place to look if you are a careful shopper.

Best of Luck

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewstevenson03 /forum/post/18138008

that would have as good a picture as a 65 inch LCD TV of the same price.

I think you mean a 42" LCD TV of the same price. If you have found a 65" at $1100, I may have to have one of them.

PQ depends on how you treat the room. Fwiw, I use my DIY screen more than my DaLite HCW.

If you have no other display for daily watching in a lighted room, then probably a pj is not suited to you. Some here use them for everyday viewing but I suspect that is less likely than not.

You can pretty much find what you want at the price you want and fit it in the house you've got without much trouble. They're not that hard to find a place for. Image quality will be very dependent on your source, and how dark you can get the room. With optimal conditions and a good source material, you can pretty much equal or near equal any display on the market. For things like SD TV, it's going to suck on any display so who cares. No HD Cable I have seen comes close to having a signal of quality to demonstrate what a PJ is supposed to look like.

I think many here would agree, it's not so much; can a projector look as good as an LCD or Plazma. The real question is; Can an LCD or a Plazma truly show you how beautiful a Blu-Ray picture can be, considering their reduced size.

My answer to that is: No.

==edit==

I wanted to mention too, having a second display is a great idea, but if that display is a 27" crt or something, you can forget it. Once you have a pj, looking at something else is very tough to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For movie viewing a projector can't be beat. Just measure your room and have a plan of where you can mount the projector to know if you will need to have a projector with lens shift as that is not on all projectors. Also if the projector will fill the screen size you want. Most of all enjoy it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Decide for yourself, find someone in your area that can give you a front projection demonstration. Once you see it for yourself, you'll be hooked.

I installed a 720P DLP FP over a year and a half ago and my kids now complain when we watch movies/tv on the "just the little tv" (46" LCD).

·
Registered
4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewstevenson03 /forum/post/18138008

I am trying to figure out if I can go with a projector...that would have as good a picture as a 65 inch LCD TV of the same price. Is it possible to get the same picture quality, or should I just go with the LCD TV?

But you're comparing apples to oranges (well, at least they're both fruit!).

A projector and screen turn your viewing experience into a "theater" type. Means you have to turn-off lights, and can't have anyone moving in front of the projector for example. If you want a very-large-screen home theater experience, then a pj is the only way to go (and is doable w/your budget).

A 65" LCD TV is just that, a TV. You watch television on it, and movies too, but it doesn't give you the same feel as though you were watching in a real movie theater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.