AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panasonic plasma monitor that is some distance from my pre/pro, so I made a long S-video cable (using two 70' RG-6 runs) with S-Video plugs on each side.

Here's the mystery: during daytime, the picture is perfect but most nights it's so bad as to be unwatchable!

Assuming that some elctromagnetic device is interfering with the signal, I turned off all the lights in the house with no improvement. Is it possible that I'm getting interference from an outside source? What can it be?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
This is not about the monitor but an interference problem.

jjb94941,

Have you tried putting the equipment close together temporarily to see if the problem goes away with a short connection? That can isolate the long connection as picking up the interference.

If the problem comes from inside the house, it can help to turn off all the breakers except the one(s) for the equipment being checked. Then turn off all appliances on the same circuit. If that solves the problem, you can turn things back on one at a time to help isolate the offending device.

If the problem is still present with the rest of the house dead, you'll know the problem comes from outside the house.

Once you have a better handle on the problem areas, solutions will be easier to find.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much Greywolf. It turns out that the interference problem was in fact related to distance, since it has disappeared since I installed a signal amplifier on the line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.