AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my Panasonic TU-HDS20 from a local retailer on July 9, 2001. I am having trouble setting up DirecTV. I installed the dish my self and I am getting on SAT A 91% and SAT B 85%. The guide shows DTV 200, 201, 212, 220, 400, 500, 870, and 900. When I contacted DirecTV to activate my access card, they asked me to tune to channel 100 which I coudn't, both in the guide or manually entering in 100. It says that the channel in unavailable. The rep told me I can only activate the card if I can see channel 100. They asked me to contact Panasonic Support which I did. The tech verified that everything is correct on my end and that it is the "HU" access card that is having problems. When I ran the "System Test" on the set to box, everything passes except "Access". I inserted another "new" access card and received the same result. When I contacted Tweeter, the retailer I purchased the unit from, they suggested that I am pointing to the wrong Satellite(s). Probably Dish Network. I have tried every possible angles with the dish and still cannot receive channel 100. I have exhausted all resources in finding a solution to this problem. I really do not want to return this unit for the quality of over-the-air HDTV. Maybe I have a bad unit? Bad access card? I don't know. Please help...

[This message has been edited by CvC 4 Sale (edited 07-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by CvC 4 Sale (edited 07-12-2001).]

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If your dish has lnb's on the left and right with the middle empty and you have signals on both of them then you have the right sats. (101 and 119) You can't possibly be on the wrong sats.

If the above it true, I would go to the retailer and demand a whole unit exchange. If they are unwilling to do that, ask for an access card exchange. If that doesn't work. Return the unit and buy it from crutchfield.com. The have excellent customer service. If none of these are an option, call Directv and ask for an access card swap.

If that doesn't work, I'm sure someone on this forum has a spare HU card they might be willing to part with for a small fee.

--Rick

[This message has been edited by ricka (edited 07-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ricka (edited 07-12-2001).]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried a brand new, never been activated access card. Same results. Also, I am still stuck on the 7.2.X. and haven't recieved the 7.4 upgrade.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Channel 100 would show up even if you took your HU card out altogether. I do not believe it is the card that is the issue here. In the event that the satellite feed can't be accessed to initialize the HU cards for the first time they WILL test bad, even though they are working perfectly. What you may want to do is check your rcvr on a diff. dish that is already receiving all of its channels properly. If it works there, then my guess is that you have a cabling/multi-switch, or LNB problem. Try testing the rcvr right to each of the A LNB connections and test them both to make sure you are getting 100. If so, now we are down to a Problem between the LNB and the Multi-switch, or the Multi-Switch and the RCVR, but the LNB and RCVR themselves are working fine.

Fragger

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I don't think so. I hooked up TU-HDS20 w/o an access card last week, and it just showed "Insert your access card" or something like that. I had to insert an access card to get a signal.

>>Channel 100 would show up even if you took your HU card out altogether.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Normally DTV's initial question before they set up your account is "Are you able to view channel 100?" If not, usually there is a setup problem, or something strange is going on signalwise.

Fragger

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.