AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally enabled the HD on my Sony KV-40XBR700 TV with Time Warner 7 HD channels yesterday. The SA 3100 Explorer box outputs composite HD, but I end up with 4" black boarders around the entire 4:3 image, rendering my 40" set to be like a 30" set on all regular channels, SD movie channels and most HD broadcasts (except for HBO and CBS & SHOW sometimes). The hi-scan Sony offers automatic 16:9 enhanced viewing mode sensing (I don't think this can be disabled). The SA3100 assumes that its a widescreen set, so when it had a 4:3 signal, it puts the vertical side black bars on the left and right. So I end up with a 4:3 picture with top and bottom letterbox black bars in addition to the vertical black bars. Does anyone know how I can fix this aspect ratio problem?

TWC said that this is the way the signals are being broadcast, so they is nothing that can be done. Although I love the HD quality of CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, HBO and SHOW, I've only seen the full size letterbox on HBO, CBS and sometimes on SHOW. I've very disappointed to see all other channels 2 - 99, and digital cable non-HD all show up with a black boarder around the whole image.

Does anyone know if the Scientific Atlanta 3100HD Explorer can be told that the TV is a 4:3 aspect ratio? Or maybe I need to change a setting on the Sony TV. Help appreciated. :(

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
For SD with that box and a 4X3 TV you need to use S- Video. S/A has made changes in the next HD Box (4200) to allow for different aspect ratios. I think the CE manufacturers messed up on this one, by definition HD is 16X9, they should have allowed for zoom/crop in their sort-of HD 4X3 sets!

Brian

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Brian, thanks. I needed to continue to use the component output to get any HD picture, which automatically shows up using Sony's Enhanced 16:9 mode. Depending on the HD broadcast, you may get letterbox which is as wide as the set or you may get HD with 4 bars all the way around a 4:3 HD signal. But the SA3100 SD on all the other channels via the s-video comes up with a full screen 40" picture - thanks for your suggestion. At least the Sony has 6 sets of inputs, so I can afford to have an S-video and a component connection at the same time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.