AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dish 6000 with the OTA tuner connected to a CM 4228 in the Detroit suburbs. When I set up the digital channel 43, which is local PBS, it says that it is channel 56. This corresponds to the analog 56. I can see in the programing guide that there are up to four subchannels, 56-01 to 56-04. When I try to tune one of them, the receiver hangs for about 10 seconds and then tunes to 43-01 and 56 DTV is gone. 43-01 is the HDTV demo. I've had it momentarily tune 56-01 which is the regular PBS broadcast, but then it switches to 43. My signal strength is good, usually in the 80's. Does this look like a dish problem?

Any help will be appreciated.

Chuck Davis

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Welcome to the world of OTA tuning. It is setting up correctly under channel 56, the native analog channel, but the Ch. 43 is the assigned UHF channel for your PBS digital broadcasts. Whenever the stations play around with their channel assignments and one of the stations is listed but not actually carrying anything (and you will see a signal strength indicated), the 6000 can't recognize the channel and will autoconvert to the actual UHF channel the signal is broadcast on.

When the station goes back to "normal" the 6000 will automatically reassign them back to the Ch 56 sublistings. This happens to us all the time in the Portland area, especially with the Final Four games going on, they are constantly switching and my 6000 throws up everytime they do it.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

·
Registered
830 Posts
All I can add to Marissadad's excellent explaination is that the problem is much improved in the current version of the code. Before the latest release, any change in the channel mapping would confuse the receiver to the point where it would reboot. The only way to fix it was to keep deleting and readding the affected channels every time the channel map changed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.