AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I'm in desperate need of a full upgrade. My current setup involves an Onkyo Receiver, cd player (6 disc carousel), and EQ. It features 2 American Acoustic speakers with 12" subs and 2 mids and a dome tweet. All of this was purchased in 1993 (except the cd changer I replaced that in 2000) which means the receiver is outdated (dolby prologic).

My TV was purchased in 1998 and is a 32" Toshiba standard 4:3 ratio obviously.

I want to upgrade both the stereo and TV. I will mainly use it for watching movies and playing XBOX 360. Also some television programs and FOOTBALL.

I'm leaning toward a 42" plasma right now unless you can talk me into something else. The Panasonic TH-42PX60U has REALLY caught my eye in both value and quality.

I want a home theater system to go with the TV and would like an entertainment center to match it all up.

I have about 2000-2500 to spend.

Please post any comments/suggestions with supporting information.

Thanks!

· Registered
180 Posts
This may be better put outside the HTiB subforum. Maybe in the receiver/speaker forum. But then again if you made separate posts in all 3 subforums (speakers/subs/receivers) you may get a few more responses, but that of course may be too much "spam". A system I have been looking at setting up looks something like this:

HD1000U Projector

Denon AVR987 Receiver

SVS SBS-01 7.1 Speakers with PB10-NSD Sub

This package would be about 2700, and does not include a screen (I suggest DIY if you go with a PJ). You could always shop around for some cheaper prices. Off hand without looking right now I think you should be able to get the PJ for ~900, the receiver ~700, and the speakers+sub ~1100.

It runs a little over your budget, and would reach closer to 2900 after screen, materials, and wires for everything. You can always go with a little less expensive receiver or speaker package. The SBS-01 gets GREAT movie reviews from audioholics , and the PJ allows you to go larger for cheaper, but your PQ may suffer a little bit compared to plasma. Just a few suggestions from an HT noob like me. I was in your boat, but decided to go with a PJ because you can get bigger screen area for cheaper, and I hate the fact that pasma costs 3k+ for anything over 60".

· Registered
275 Posts
I was just gonna suggest the same thing as soransis. I picked up the optoma HD70 projector for $900, an upconverting dvd player for $100, and now you can get a 106" motorized screen from monoprice for $130. That would leave you a lot of cash for a killer sound system. The optoma and mits. projectors are in the same league, both 720p. If you have the room this would be the way to go. I originally looked at plasma also, but after setting up the projector I'd NEVER go to plasma. It puts out a great picture and you could fit 6 42" plasmas in the screen. If you have the room a projector is the way to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.