AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey AVS forum, I'm just stopping by to ask: Is the difference between the two models I mentioned in the title great enough to warrant an upgrade? I really feel like it's time to upgrade since I bought the P42S1 like 3 years ago. Should I?

Also, is the newer model cooler than the one I have right now? That's a big problem for me and my small room and I'm hoping that if I do go with the P42ST30, that it fixes it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
ok you now will have only one pane meaning no reflections and more clear image. also the black will be darker and color more accurate (in movie mode of course)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWDinc /forum/post/21089064

ok you now will have only one pane meaning no reflections and more clear image. also the black will be darker and color more accurate (in movie mode of course)

What about the heat? Does the power consumption have anything to do with the heat?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slurmdrinker /forum/post/21089085

Thanks. Anybody else care to help?

The biggest plus, for me anyway, is that Panasonic is using their Infinite Black Panel technology with all their 3D sets. the 2D sets do not have this.The end result is more elegant blacks at all brightness levels on the TC-P42ST30 with an added bonus that it helps conserve energy. The 42S1, which I think is a nearly two-year-old model, has several bad points: Less accurate primary colors and color temperature; skimpy picture controls; still less efficient than comparable LCDs. It's much deeper than newer plasma, around 4". And one of the key feature differences of the S1 series with the newer series of plasma by Panasonic is the absence of The Viera Cast feature set, which enables online content via a web interface. You can find reviews of the set online pretty easy but I have had a 42ST30 since the end of April and is is one amazing display. No problems whatsoever and the PQ with my TW cable, roku and Panasonic blu-ray player is stunning to me eyes. Plus I think the 42ST30 have had quite a price drop recently, nearly $200 at BB according to their add in yesterday's paper. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 /forum/post/21092357

The biggest plus, for me anyway, is that Panasonic is using their Infinite Black Panel technology with all their 3D sets. the 2D sets do not have this.The end result is more elegant blacks at all brightness levels on the TC-P42ST30 with an added bonus that it helps conserve energy. The 42S1, which I think is a nearly two-year-old model, has several bad points: Less accurate primary colors and color temperature; skimpy picture controls; still less efficient than comparable LCDs. It's much deeper than newer plasma, around 4". And one of the key feature differences of the S1 series with the newer series of plasma by Panasonic is the absence of The Viera Cast feature set, which enables online content via a web interface. You can find reviews of the set online pretty easy but I have had a 42ST30 since the end of April and is is one amazing display. No problems whatsoever and the PQ with my TW cable, roku and Panasonic blu-ray player is stunning to me eyes. Plus I think the 42ST30 have had quite a price drop recently, nearly $200 at BB according to their add in yesterday's paper. Hope this helps.

Thanks man. That really helped. Guess I'll be going with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can anyone chim in about the 200 dollar calibration that was mentioned to me by the GeekSquad at BB that they say is needed to make the TC-P42ST30 plasma tv work at its best???

Is it really needed????

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbro94 /forum/post/21099870

Can anyone chime in about the 200 dollar calibration that was mentioned to me by the GeekSquad at BB that they say is needed to make the TC-P42ST30 plasma tv work at its best??? Is it really needed????

It is not needed, and actually it is to be avoided. BB's Geek Squad Calibrations are substandard compared to getting it done by an professional independent ISF Calibrator. BB doesn't allow their "calibrators" to spend the 3-4 hours required to do it right - instead they limit them to 1-2 hours. Don't listen to BB's advice - they push these calibrations because they make a big profit on it. A pro will have better equipment and will spend a lot more time working his magic. He costs more, but he won't do a half-assed job.

If you can't afford a pro, there are inexpensive self-calibration discs and kits and methods available that you can use to calibrate your TV yourself.

·
Registered
380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/0

It is not needed, and actually it is to be avoided. BB's Geek Squad Calibrations are substandard compared to getting it done by an professional independent ISF Calibrator. BB doesn't allow their "calibrators" to spend the 3-4 hours required to do it right - instead they limit them to 1-2 hours. Don't listen to BB's advice - they push these calibrations because they make a big profit on it. A pro will have better equipment and will spend a lot more time working his magic. He costs more, but he won't do a half-assed job.

If you can't afford a pro, there are inexpensive self-calibration discs and kits and methods available that you can use to calibrate your TV yourself.

Youre always on a mission to make sure nobody gets their set calibrated by bb. It's $150, and they use sencore equipment. Digital video essentials and spears and munsil are nice and a worthwhile alternative to calibration if you can't afford to drop $300 - $500, yes; but a decent calibrator from bb is certainly better at dialing in color and gamma than those disks alone, which don't do that - at all, without some equipment.

Bottom line; depending on your calibrator; because some of them who work for bb suck, some are decent, if you get a decent one - $150 is worth it for: a day and night setting on 2 different inputs. Period. It's just a roll of the dice.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I'm a big fan of ISF calibration. Have had all three of my displays (2 RPTVs that I've sold to my siblings and both of which still have great PQ) and my 65" plasma in my HT. It's great peace of mind when sitting with a real professional and watching and listening to him explain how and why is is taking the display to it best possible PQ for the setting it is in. I'd be very leery of BB calibrations since I don't think it includes a greyscale adjustment, which can only be done with very specialized equipment (a colorimeter for one). That is the single most important adjustment to have done because your blacks AND colors won't be true if not done properly. Just my two cents on that topic. That being said, I'm opting to not have my 42ST30 calibrated because with the settings I am using and a few tweaks here and there, I am totally happy with the PQ on this display. Probably doesn't make much sense but it just looks great. Using Spears & Munsil of one of the other discs should get you to a good place with you PQ as long as you feel confident you know how to make the adjustments properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you all! Appreciate the advice and direction I have received here!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Can the ST30 even be properly calibrated? Isn't this one of those Panny's that doesn't let you go in and correct the color decoder. I ask this as someone who may be interested in upgrading from his PX80U to the ST30.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I have a 54G10 which is similar to an S1 and I have a 50ST30. Yes it's about half as thick if that matters, it puts out less heat for sure, noticeable difference. The PQ seems better overall, is it worth upgrading, maybe to some. I'm still happy since it has no problems like those discussed. They both look great with the blacks being better on the newer tv's. The bezel looks better and the features are nice such as DLNA which can eliminate an extra player for your media. I wouldn't recommend a BB cal, instead use D-Nices(thank you very much
)settings which will get you much closer than that limited cal and it will be better than a Disc cal. My 2 cents.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts