AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a problem (tree) seeing Sat B with my new oval dish. Thinking that I'd better get ready to receive a download from Directv to fix my HD-100 problems, I would set up my old round dish in an area that can get the 119 satellite. I took the HD100 outside (again) and finally got a strong signal from "B" but only on the odd transponders (23,25,29 etc.). I thought this may be normal so I ran the cable over to the other dish and hooked into one of the Sat B inputs at the multiswitch. I still don't get any of the Sat B channels, 509 & 199. Do I need to input both Sat B inputs? Can't I use the old round dish to do what I'm trying to do or will I have to move the new elliptical dish to the new spot? I am going to do that eventually, I just couldn't do a permanent move for a couple of weeks and I was afraid that Directv might send a fix down in the next few days. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You'll need to make sure that you have a dual LNB on your old round satellite dish, and hook both outputs of the LNB to the multiswitch.

You can definitely use the old round dish (as long as you have a dual LNB on it). I have the same setup at home (except I use two round dishes instead of an elliptical).

Another thing to watch out for: The RCA receivers (like the DTC-100), are stupid in the sense that if you set the satellite signal strength meter to the 119 satellite, but accidentally point the 2nd dish to the 101 satellite, you'll get a normal signal reading on 119. The only way to ensure you've actually pointed the dish at the 119 satellite is to make sure you're getting the channels that are only broadcast on 119, such as the NASA channel (and 509/199). In the western part of the country, 119 is located a little to the right and a little "up" from the 101 satellite, in the eastern part of the country it's a little to the right and a little "down", and in the middle part it's just a little to the right at the same tilt.

------------------

<yawn>

TiredGuy

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TiredGuy, thats what I expected. I knew I posted a dumb question afterwards. I do have a dual LNB and found out that connecting to one B port on the multiswitch gave me odd transponders and the other port gave me even. With just one cable run to the odd side I was able to get a message on the bottom of the screen for the 119 channels that the "Program is not available in your area". Since the owners manual said to make sure of a good signal on the odd transponders I thought I should get the stations --- wrong. Thanks for the tip. I hope that is not what's happening now. When I run 2 cables from the dual LNB to the B ports of the multiswitch I'll find out. Hope it works. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.