AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I know this isn't really the kind of thing to post here...but I know you guys are very smart with this, and given the wealth of knowledge around here this is the only place I knew to turn too. So sorry for the off HTPC post. Here is my prob:

I have a pin hole camera, I know I can get a transmitter to wirelessly transmit all the data to my comp via capture card.

My question is this:

I am not shelling out the kind of money for a time lapse vcr. What program can I use to record the footage on my cpu (as a background process) without eating up too much cpu and for how long will I be able to record? I'm hoping for the longest but would love to have at least 10 hour intervals. Of course its all based on hd space. I have a free 80gig deskstar I am going to use for my HTPC so I can use that as this will just be a temporary thing.

Thanks for the help...

-Chris

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hey Chris,

If you are real serious about recording your problem and want good quality, have a look at my website for a product that does this in a stand alone box that you access via your network (lan) . If you like what you see check out the Integral Technologies site and ask for a dealer in your area that sells the DVA unit.

www.vipond.ca/remoteview.htm

www.vipondsystemsgroup.com/cctv.htm

If you dont want a stand alone box and really need a more economical solution, there are a few software programs that record based on motion only. This saves hard drive space.

http://www.webattack.com/Shareware/w...swwebcam.shtml

Also remember the old adage: garbage in equals garbage out! If you can, avoid a pinhole type camera unless it is the full body kind and not the board camera type.

Attention moderators: Im not attempting to sell product here, just links for information purposes.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for your help mark. I already have the camera and am not looking to investing much money. I have a small problem down my shop, I just need a little proof so I don't need high quality the cam just needs to be able to identify the fellahs face which it will be able to do. But the motion thing is great. I think I will be able to hook the transmitter into my camera, and the receiver into my capture card and record like that. Does that make sense or am I missing something here?

Thanks Again...

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.