AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for the answers to this, but couldn't find it, so here's my situation:

Background:

I've already got 3 DirecTV receivers in the house.

-HD DVR in main living room

-Older Tivo HD DVR in master bedroom

-Older SD normal, bare bones receiver in "den"

Desired Add-ons:

-HD or SD receiver* in kitchen

-HD receiver in Bedroom 2.

Questions:

1. *If I'm going to get a pretty small (19" or smaller) LCD television for my kitchen, should I even bother getting HD programming for it via DirecTV, or should I just use the SD receiver (which is smaller, and would cost less) and get over the air broadcasts in HD?

2. For "Bedroom 2," I have a 19" LCD (it was a christmas present) that I want to wall mount in my son's playroom. I would want a DVD player hooked up to that as well. Is there a creative mounting solution for this? I want it up high on the wall where he can't touch it, but how do I mount the DirecTV receiver and the DVD player?

3. I began to set this all up online at DirecTV. I noticed there are monthly "leasing fees." If I just go buy this stuff at a store, can I bypass these leasing fees? I'd much rather pay it all at once than add $10 or so to my monthly DirecTV bill.

thank you to anyone that helps.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadrol /forum/post/15594355

I searched for the answers to this, but couldn't find it, so here's my situation:

Maybe not searching in the HDTV Programming thread might help?

·
Super Moderator
18,835 Posts

Quote:

1. *If I'm going to get a pretty small (19" or smaller) LCD television for my kitchen, should I even bother getting HD programming for it via DirecTV, or should I just use the SD receiver (which is smaller, and would cost less) and get over the air broadcasts in HD?

Depends on what you watch in the kitchen and how intently you watch it. My kitchen TV is more for the sound of the game than anything else or the Weather Channel. I will probably never mess with HD in the kitchen.

Quote:

2. For "Bedroom 2," I have a 19" LCD (it was a christmas present) that I want to wall mount in my son's playroom. I would want a DVD player hooked up to that as well. Is there a creative mounting solution for this? I want it up high on the wall where he can't touch it, but how do I mount the DirecTV receiver and the DVD player?

Do you not want him reaching the DVD nor the receiver? If he needs to get to those, I'd put them on a table or inside a cabinet and fish the cabling inside the wall to an outlet near or behind the TV.

Quote:

3. I began to set this all up online at DirecTV. I noticed there are monthly "leasing fees." If I just go buy this stuff at a store, can I bypass these leasing fees?

Probably not. If you can resurrect an old SD receiver for your kitchen, you'll only get stuck with the $5 mirroring fee. Any new HD boxes come with a lease no matter how you obtain them. Granted, there are some exceptions, but they're rare.

PS: thread moved.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just my 2 cents here. Maybe you should try dbstalk.com. That's a complete website that is dedicated to Sat. TV service. It's separated into Dish Network and DirecTV.

Your questions boil down to personal choice, as the last posted stated.

You will NOT be able to avoid the fee of $4.99 per each add'l recvr. If you lease it or if you purchase it, you still pay for it on a monthly basis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts