AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up the Samsung SIR-T165 as a christmas gift for my parents to accompany their Mitsubishi 65" Platinum set. It arrived yesterday, and I'm trying to straighten out my reception issues in time for the holidays.

Using this tool I determined that I am 24 miles (21 nautical miles) from the tower on top of the Empire State Building which is at southwest 222.1 degrees. This conflicts with antennaweb.org which says the same stations are at 234-36 degrees.

My parents already had an old antenna on the roof back when all that existed was OTA signals. For starters I tried tapping into that by converting the wire over to coax where it came into the house and then running that to the tuner. Via that method all I could get was a very intermittent CBS, which would drop out every 5 seconds.

I ran down to Radio Shack and picked up an indoor antenna (High-Performance Digital TV Antenna - WEBA790), just to see how I'd do. With that in my basement I was able to pick up CBS (2-1), FOX(5-1) and UPN(5-2), but they were also intermittent, breaking up every 30-60 seconds.

Now ideally I'd like to replace the antenna and run coax the whole way into the house, but in the interest of time, what would you folks suggest? I was thinking the antenna on the roof might just need to be rotated (though it's been up there for longer than me, and I'm 24), I also thought it could be a problem with the old wiring.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I hope to make this christmas gift as successful as possible. Short-term and long-term solutions are both welcome, (ie new antenna suggestions and/or tips to improve the signal with the current equipment) Thanks in advance,

-Rob
[email protected]

·
Registered
322 Posts
Call a pro and have him install a large Channel Master VHF/UHF antenna with a rotor, guy wires, etc. Have him put in a band seperator to strip off the FM for your stereo. That should do the trick and it's worth every penny.

DVW

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am in Tarrytown, about the same distance away as you. I bought a UHF only antenna and pointed it to the Empire State Building. I get CBS at 100% on the signal meter with very few dropouts. I have a Channel Master 3023 antenna.

If I were you I would try to replace the outside antenna with a new UHF antenna if repointing your current antenna does not work. You can get one at radio shack, or online at Stark Electronics http://www.starkelectronic.com. I used them, they are very helpful and ship quickly. If you use Stark, I think the ChannelMaster 3021 would be a good bet. (But, if you want to try to get WTNH in New Haven, the ABC affiliate, you will need a rotor and maybe an antenna that does VHF as well. I say maybe because I think there are some who can get WTNH with UHF antennas since their signal is near the high end of the VHF band.)

AntennaWeb and the other site you used do not conflict with each other as to the heading of the Empire State Building from your location. I believe that AntennaWeb uses settings that are adjusted for magnetic north. I had a compass and used the AntennaWeb site's settings when pointing the antenna.

Plus, make sure all your cabling and connections are good. I had a problem and traced it to a bad connector. It made a big difference in my reception. And, make sure all outdoor antenna masts and cables are properly grounded.

When I first tried to set up my system, I tried an indoor antenna as well. I got a good signal in only certain places in my house. I tried an indoor one that was amplified and it was worse. It was best for me to go the outdoor route.

Hope this helps. Good luck. I am not an expert by any stretch but I just went through what you are, and live nearby, so I thought I would respond. If you want, I can message you my phone number and you can call with any other questions.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am in Tarrytown, about the same distance away as you. I bought a UHF only antenna and pointed it to the Empire State Building. I get CBS at 100% on the signal meter with very few dropouts. I have a Channel Master 3023 antenna.

If I were you I would try to replace the outside antenna with a new UHF antenna if repointing your current antenna does not work. You can get one at radio shack, or online at Stark Electronics http://www.starkelectronic.com. I used them, they are very helpful and ship quickly. If you use Stark, I think the ChannelMaster 3021 would be a good bet. (But, if you want to try to get WTNH in New Haven, the ABC affiliate, you will need a rotor and maybe an antenna that does VHF as well. I say maybe because I think there are some who can get WTNH with UHF antennas since their signal is near the high end of the VHF band.)

AntennaWeb and the other site you used do not conflict with each other as to the heading of the Empire State Building from your location. I believe that AntennaWeb uses settings that are adjusted for magnetic north. I had a compass and used the AntennaWeb site's settings when pointing the antenna.

Plus, make sure all your cabling and connections are good. I had a problem and traced it to a bad connector. It made a big difference in my reception. And, make sure all outdoor antenna masts and cables are properly grounded.

When I first tried to set up my system, I tried an indoor antenna as well. I got a good signal in only certain places in my house. I tried an indoor one that was amplified and it was worse. It was best for me to go the outdoor route.

Hope this helps. Good luck. I am not an expert by any stretch but I just went through what you are, and live nearby, so I thought I would respond. If you want, I can message you my phone number and you can call with any other questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips BuzaidC, is there any compelling reason to get a UHF only antenna versus a UHF/VHF combo? I've read that stations may/will eventually provide their HD signal via VHF once the analog signals are turned off in 2007. I really don't know how to pick an antenna other than I believe that bigger is better, and I've heard good things about ChannelMaster and Winegard.

The antenna currently on my roof is quite large (not sure what kind it is, but looks similar to the Winegard PR7052 on www.starkelectronic.com ), and I'm hoping to get it working by in the least by rotating it a bit and running new coax directly from the antenna. Of course I haven't been up on the roof yet, as I've been trying to keep this a secret from my folks (I don't think they'd believe I was cleaning the gutters), so perhaps the problem will be clearer once I've gotten up there.

Thanks again,

-Rob

·
Registered
96 Posts
I got a UHF antenna because that was all I needed to get CBS. I didn't know until after that they plan on going to VHF in 2007 but I figure I'll cross that bridge at that time.

If it looks like the Winegard 7052 I would think it should do the job. I would use a compass and make sure it was pointed correctly as well as check the cables/connections.

Good luck. It's a nice gift for your parents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.