AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 19 years old, first HT system and need help with some speakers, and placement of the speakers. I recently purchased the Yamaha v-663 receiver and a pair of Klipsch RF-62 floorstanding speakers. I love them They sound great. Now I also purchased some Bose center channel speaker which I don't care for, I actually will be returning this speaker for the Klipsch RC-52 (is this a good choice?)

My main question was actually concerning my Rear speakers. Because of the design of my living room I can't do side speakers, only rears. Let me explain how it's set up. My couch is against A wall, and about 6 feet up that wall my house is pre-wired for speakers. Well originally I had two Satellite speakers from my HTIB unit there, aimed down at me. Now I have a pair of Definitive Technology BP1XBLA bookshelf speakers. They are aimed straight out. I thought this would be an upgrade, but because of my setup I have a feeling it won't be. In this sitiution would it be better to have satellite speakers aimed down at me, or to bookshelf speakers like I have now. I honestly think the Sony's sounded better, what do you think?

Any other opinions on what to do, or set up solutions let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
first things first,get rid of that Bose and get the RC-52. It is well balanced and matched to the RF-62's and the RXV-663 will drive them just fine. You really should put your money in the center and if you can opt for the RC-62 to better match your RF-62's I would recommend it.

As for the rears, you should get a pair of bipolar speakers to help diffuse the surround sounds, might as well continue with the Klipsch line, maybe the RS-42 or if your budget allows the RS-52 or RS-62.

by the way, surround speakers should NOT point directly at your ears, they should be pointed away and towards a wall or acoustically reflective surface to diffuse the sound and let it disperse and engulf you. Per THX training if you have bookshelf speakers as surrounds you are better off pointing them AT each other than straight out, and definitely not at your sitting position.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
help anyone? would my situation be best for aimed satellite speakers, or a bookshelf?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the placement of the rears is actually directly across from the fronts, just a few feet higher. In other words they're facing my tv and shooting in that direction. I am directly under the rear speakers, that's where the previous owner had speaker wire run. The Def Tec's I have are bipolar, I didn't go with the klipsch simply because the wife thought the few extra inches the klipsch stuck out would ruin the aesthetics. Not much you can do there, she thinks anything sounds good as long as michael buble comes out of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts