AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Elite 45tx for a few weeks now, and have been trying to read through the manual to get full benefit out of it, but I have one key question that I need some serious help with. If I only have a 5.1 surround setup, what should I use for the audio inputs (for SACD and DVD-A from a Elite 45A) - Surrounds L/R OR Rear Surround L/R. Same question goes for the speaker outputs for listening to multichannel audio and watching DVD's. I know that with a 7.1 system it is pretty self explanatory, but I'm a little confused here. My speakers are placed behind the main listening position a few feet on the sides. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
If I only have a 5.1 surround setup, what should I use for the audio inputs (for SACD and DVD-A from a Elite 45A) - Surrounds L/R OR Rear Surround L/R.

====================================

Use the inputs labelled Surrounds L/R, NOT Rear Surrounds.

6.1 and 7.1 are really the same thing--they add a center rear channel.

6.1 uses a single rear center speaker placed directly behind the listening position, 7.1 uses two speakers placed very close to each other directly behind the listening position, both of which produce the same sound.

So think of the "back surrounds" as rear center speakers and it will eliminate some confusion. Rear center is not used in 5.1 systems, so you don't use "back surround" for 5.1 setups.

=======================================

Same question goes for the speaker outputs for listening to multichannel audio and watching DVD's. I know that with a 7.1 system it is pretty self explanatory, but I'm a little confused here. My speakers are placed behind the main listening position a few feet on the sides. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

=======================================

Again, use the speaker terminals labelled "surround", not "back surround", for the same reason as above. As is true of the analog inputs, the "back surround" speaker terminals are for a rear center channel you aren't using.

Surround speakers for a 5.1 system are most commonly placed on either side of and a bit behind the listening position.

As a side note, if you don't use back surround (or more correctly rear center) speakers, the receiver can produce a "phantom" rear center channel in the same way a phantom front center channel can be synthesized when you don't have a front center channel speaker. This can be toggled on and off with the SB CH Mode button, second from right on the bottom row of buttons on your remote control.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,

Many thanks for your post. After some further reading last night of the manual, I had switched everything back to surrounds, but your post just cleared everything up for me. I'll give the SB Ch Mode button a try tonight. Thanks again, and take care.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.