AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just moved into a new house which has a dedicated media/theater room. It's 18'x11' and because of the door placement I need to keep the seating against the back wall.

I'm stumped as to the best place to locate my surrounds. I was going to put in-walls where the builder ran the pre-wiring wall plates, but after some research I think that is way too high. So now I'm thinking about choices A or B. Any feedback or other suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
720 Posts
What speakers are you using?

·
Registered
434 Posts
The thing about inwall speakers and builder pre-wiring is that most in wall speakers have toggle bolts or swing bolts that clamp onto the back side of the drywall. The problem is that builder pre-wires the boxes onto the stud (unless told otherwise). So you may think about just patching the existing boxes and moving the speaker where you want.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, that's how these boxes are. They're nailed to the studs but they left 6'+ of extra wire so I can easily install in-walls anywhere in the same stud cavity. I can move to the adjacent walls (B) if that location is better, but it would be a bunch of work.

My main concern is that location A would be firing the surrounds directly at the front wall. Is that a big deal?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Companies like SpeakerCraft have in walls where the tweeter and mid/woofer are aimable. Your A location would be ok, not ideal using a speaker like that.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I would use position "B" in that picture and put the speakers on the side walls.

I lived in a place before where the couch was against the back wall and the surrounds were in the wall behind me and it didnt sound good. If you do mount them on the back wall, I would use a dipole speaker or something like the Axiom QS4 that will bounce the sound around back there.

·
Registered
20,972 Posts

Quote:
I lived in a place before where the couch was against the back wall and the surrounds were in the wall behind me and it didnt sound good. If you do mount them on the back wall, I would use a dipole speaker or something like the Axiom QS4 that will bounce the sound around back there.

I second the Axiom QS4 ( or QS8 ) suggestion. They work well even close to your seating position. I've used them in two different theaters so far with excellent results.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmand34 /forum/post/16999039

I had forgotten about dipole/bipole surrounds. Those Axioms look very nice but are a little rich for my budget right now. Are there any decent "budget" dipole surrounds?

The Speakercraft aren't that bad. Take a look at their site and see what you might like and then take a look for a dealer.

These are the ones I got for my side surrounds .

·
Registered
333 Posts
I also agree that a di/bi-pole speaker is your best bet. I also own the Axioms QS speaker but if you are looking for a less expensive alternative the Emotiva ERD-1s have been favorably compared to them. I haven’t heard the Emotivas myself to vouch for that. Not sure if it would be a problem but they only come in black.

http://emotiva.com/erd1.shtm

As for placement I agree that the side will should be best but before committing you might want to try experimenting with placement. Your in a situation were a half a foot could make a big difference in how there sound envelopes you.

In a similar situation I got the best results with corner placement so that the tweeters were firing parallel down each wall. Also, I know your constrained by that door but even moving your seating out a foot or two could make a big difference in the rear soundstage. I know that people say not to corner load a speaker but for what comes out of the surrounds I never had any issues.

Also don’t reject the idea of putting them up higher where the mounding plates are. Down low, as close as some listeners will be sitting to the walls, having the speaker 2 feet from their head may be just a little to close for any ambient sound effects to develop.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You may want to slow down and clarify things a bit more here.

Are you planning wiring for a 5.1 system or a 7.1 system?

Technically if you are wiring for 5.1 then you should probably choose location B, and with 7.1 you would probably utilize both A and B.

Just a thought. Clarify your intentions a bit and you may wind up getting some different options.

-Rick

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am just wiring for 5.1. The room will be used for movies 99% of the time with no 5 channel music requirements. I might be able to pull the couches up to give me a foot or so of clearance to the back wall.

Any thoughts on bookshelf speakers behind the couches, close to the floor and firing up towards the ceiling? I'm thinking that might help disperse the sound rather than having speakers right next to my head.

·
Registered
635 Posts
That doesn't sound like a good option to me. I would either do ceiling speakers right above you, or on the wall beside you...with the preferred location being on the wall to the side.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If still have your old bookshelf speakers it wouldn’t hurt to try out whatever ideas you can think of. However I would agree that down low isn’t likely to work.

I also think that sticking with 5.1 is a good choice. I’ve done a lot of experimenting and found when that close to the back wall moving up to 7.1 isn’t worth the extra money. OTOH if you already have the extra speakers can’t hurt to try.

Even pulling the couches out a foot could help and it won’t cost anything to try.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why are the cheapest solutions never the best ones :)

I should have included ceiling speakers as option C. I updated the photo to show the ceiling option. That might be a cleaner solution if it will sound ok. I have attic access so I can just use the existing wiring.

·
Registered
635 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
SpeakerCraft in the ceiling is a rather good thought to try.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I decided to not waste any money on something cheap right now and instead save for the SpeakerCraft in walls. So I'll just run with my bookshelves behind the couch. I tried them yesterday and they sound ok, certainly good enough to use for now.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I think you made a wise choice. Good luck and enjoy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.