AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a player that is macrovision free, because I am using a crstal image v5.33 that has macrovision problems, which is making my picture bend (banding) at the top and bottom on 1:85 and lower films. I also need the player to be able to handle SVCD since I currently store my home videos using SVCD.
http://www.220giftcenter.com/dvd.htm

website has the best prices but besides the Pioneer 343 and 444. I do not know what other players handle SVCD also I am wandering what the best player would be picture wise. I'm using the Crystal image so progressive scan is not an issue and would like to avoid the chroma bug.

Any help is more than appreciated

·
Registered
351 Posts
I got an Apex 500w from walmart earlier this year for $100. They recently dropped the price to $86, I believe. It plays dvd/cd/cdr/cdrw/vcd/svcd/mp3. It is not macrovision-free out of the box, but I purchased a replacement eeprom chip (I can't remember the site offhand) for about $25 shipped, which made it macrovision-free. The chip was easy to install. You can get the eeprom in different configurations (region free, etc.).

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the player I need is the Panasonic RV31 now I need to find out if it has the chroma bug.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i gave in and got a pioneer 444 :(

I have an Elite DV37 but its not macrofree which is what i need. Also the 444 is able to be upgraded to SDI so I'm happy about that

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Quote:
Panasonic players generally don't have the chroma bug as they use the Mediamatics MPEG decoder, which is free of the chorma bug
Panasonic DVD players do not have a chroma bug and never have. They do not use Mediamatics but Panasonic own MPEG decoder which happens to be the best on the market.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Quote:
I think the player I need is the Panasonic RV31 now I need to find out if it has the chroma bug.
Panasonic players do not play SVCD properly. Playback is very choppy. They play VCD and XVCD very well though.

For anybody interested I can modify any Panasonic player to be region free and disable crapovision.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.