AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in another forum and I now see it belongs here. Sorry for the confusion.

I am looking for a NIGE EPG, like the DTVpal but am terrified to try the DTV pal because I want this thing to work and not make me want to throw it out the window every other day. I'd like to be able to view all channels AND se more than "what's on now/what's on next" like some others. I thought I ran accross a post here or somewhere else that mentioned there is a CECB out there that is almost as nice as the DTVpal EPG. Can any one help me?

Thanks.

·
Registered
419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannawatch /forum/post/15544172

Ok, sorry I wasn't able to read all 24 pages. does this CB (Zinewell 970A/950A) even have an EPG?? Right now that's a deciding factor in my search.

Thanks.
Zinewell 970A/950A only have a NOW and THEN type EPG...(SIMPLE EPG) and do not have a option to show "details" on what is playing.

(Zinewell 970A/950A basically ONLY shows the title of what is playing/coming up next for that station.)

With the above said the Zinewell 970A/950A units have (8) TIMER SLOTS, in which you can set the unit to turn ON at a certain time, tune to a channel... a very useful feature if hooking up to a VCR/DVR, recorder.

Note that the options for the timers are ONCE, DAILY, WEEKLY, MONTHLY, so you can do REOCCURRING TIMERS.

Zenith DT901 has a NOW and THEN type EPG, ... but will show "detailed" info on show being shown. Has NO timers..

Units with Extended Program guide:

APEX Dt502 ( Sold thru Bestbuy) has a EXTENDED PROGRAM GUIDE (Shows details on what is coming up several hours in advance or more)

Stupid thing about the APEX unit is it does NOT have TIMERS, it only has a "once only" reminder function that is accessed thru the "Simple Guide".... You can set a reminder- and then at the appointed time the unit tunes to that channel.. ONCE.

DTVPal /TR-40CRA series (Dishnetwork /EchoStar)= has a EXTENDED PROGRAM GUIDE (Shows details on what is coming up several hours in advance or more & has (5) TIMER SLOTS, in which you can set the unit to turn ON at a certain time, tune to a channel... a very useful feature if hooking up to a VCR/DVR, recorder.

PS: DTVPal /TR-40CRA are "buggy"... if looking for a unit to do time-shifting (recording to vcr /dvr, etc) the Zinewell 970A/950A deserve serious consideration...

·
Registered
779 Posts
if you don't want to use timers to switch channels on the CECB then the DTVPal may suit you fine. it can hold many days of EPG data. i don't use that feature but the only station for me that sent up more then a day of data was PBS affiliate (which gave a bunch of days), as i recall.

·
Registered
333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannawatch /forum/post/15544236

.....I am looking for a NIGE EPG, like the DTVpal but am terrified to try the DTV pal because I want this thing to work and not make me want to throw it out the window every other day. I'd like to be able to view all channels AND se more than "what's on now/what's on next" like some others....... Can any one help me?Thanks.

get the TR40 aka DTVPal...it has a great multi-day epg....a great remote with well laid out buttons of different shapes and sizes and its very 'powerful' (meaning it works when pointed in almost any direction)....excellent picture quality (in spite of what some people here have said) ....it also has a CHANNEL RECALL feature that i think is essential for any tv tuner...

yes, the record/event timers are a little 'buggy' but that hasnt caused any major problems for me...i dont use the timers everyday but they do seem to work ok, for the most part anyways....i have the TR40 with firmware F103....

and if u can find a local DISH NETWORK dealer who accepts the cecb coupons u can get the TR40 for free....look here for dealers with a red DTVPAL logo next to their name in the list >

http://www.dishnetwork.com/customerS...r/default.aspx

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
There is a secret, High Quality EPG embedded within the early Zinwell ZAT-970A units. They have a "0830" or less, within the S/N (See associated thread).

The APEX DT502 will show detailed EPG information out several days. Stay away from the first run units, with a serial number that starts with letters.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannawatch /forum/post/15544236

I am looking for a NIGE EPG, like the DTVpal but am terrified to try the DTV pal because I want this thing to work and not make me want to throw it out the window every other day. I'd like to be able to view all channels AND se more than "what's on now/what's on next" like some others.

Just go with the Pal/TR-40. As long as having dependable timers isn't a priority, you should be fine.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm3839 /forum/post/15548430

....excellent picture quality (in spite of what some people here have said) ....

Depends on what you're judging it against. Personally, I wouldn't call it "excellent" (and neither do the reviews - in fact, not even quite "DVD-quality") - but if you're coming from snowy, ghosting analog I suppose it could look "superlative" to you.

It looks good enough for most people on a small enough set is all I'll say.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all. I'll look into the Tivax and consider the DTVpal more. And just to clarify, I'd make do with "what's on/what's next" if it had a good EPG that would show all channels at once.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
The RCA DTA800B1 has a listed EPG that shows all channels Now/Next at the same time. The RCA DTA809 is probably the same and supposed to have better reception.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Is there a best unit for the epg?

Is the Tivax the same as the Apex and the DTV Pal?

Which one is the clearest and has the most detail?

Which one keeps the info available?

Do they all extend as far ahead as possible?

The CM-7000 only goes ten hours ahead.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
See Malouff's picture collection to see what EPG looks like on various CECBs.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1022201

ETA: on mine, the CM7000 reliably gives 12 hours. On the DTVPal, it reliably gives a few hours. This is because I have stations with 6-7 days info, in half hour increments, and it dumps data it already had, to try to add more, and doesn't do that very logically.

The CECBs that have program detail usually show enough, although you may have to cursor through it if they used a tiny window. The biggest limitation is how much a station provides. Malouff's pictures are useful to see if there is detail, and how big the window is. The Zenith capacity is slightly larger IIRC, but the photo doesn't show much because the station wasn't providing it. Zenith descriptions go out two screenfuls, mine goes out all the way to who stars in the shows. The DTVPal makes me cursor through several times to get to the end of the description, because the text window is small. The CM7000 shows the entire description on the EPG page when you highlight the program you want to see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts