AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happened to have 2 Phoenix Gold 15 Subs that I have some questions about and want to know if it's possible to put them to use in Home Theater. I know Phoenix Gold are mostly car subs, but I wanted to know if they would be functional in a Home Theater and if they can be made articulate and detailed for music and movies.

See specs for the 15 Driver Dual Coil Subs Attached

I was thinking Sealed Enclosure would be better for keeping the bass tight and clean. Would this be the better choice for enclosure or would ported sub be the way to go? I noticed that Ported would provide a more linear response down to 18 Hz where sealed starts to drop off way before that point. See attached.

Also is there a way to keep the enclosure small? I found when looking in WinISD the optimal enclosure size is huge. For both Closed and even bigger when Ported. How small can they be made without having to make huge sacrifice in response.

Would this be a suitable amp for these drivers as well?
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=BASH500

We are in Canada so something that is cheaper on the shipping would help as well.

Completely new to all of this so any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
The enclosure sizes are huge, for sure. How large of a room are you considering putting this in, and is it sealed ( IE: doors ) or wide open? ( open concept )

You could do a large sonotube enclosure that stands upright, and that will take up less floor space. Have you checked the gLoss on the suspension>? It may or may not be suitable for downfiring.

Lastly, you have Xmax in meters... clicking on that parameter will allow you to scroll from one measurement system to the others, millimeters it should be 15mm.

15 mm isn't overly huge by today's standards, however if you are willing to deal with a large enclosure it will work fine, as long as you don't overload it.

You might consider something like the SDX-15, it works in smaller enclosures, however you can certainly use the PG drivers you already have.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The room is sealed and some sound proofing methods were done while building it.

The drivers are laying around from the past and I thought they could be put to good use, the goal is making something cheaper then going out and buying a sub. The box enclosure is preferred since sonotube would probably be difficult for my skills. Can these be put together in some sort of coffee table setup where they could be together in the center of the room? How small can these enclosures be made?

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Not small enough based on your graphs.... center of the room is probably one of the worst areas to put a subwoofer, no re-inforcement from any other surface.

How large is the room in feet? That will generally point towards either sealed or ported.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another question since I was a little confused with WinISD. Am I going about it the right way to be considering Vas value as good indicator for enclosure volume and Fs as the best value for Tuning Frequency? I don't know how to dictate what these should be set for (tuning frequency and volume) and how do you control tuning frequency?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
You need to tune a bit lower to flatten your response out. That hump you have from 50 hz down isn't good. Factor in room gain and it will be a good bit higher. Have you checked the wattage with the excursion graph? That 500 watt bash should work fine. Are you sure about those specs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The bash 500 is rated at 4ohm, the PG 154DVC is duel so that means you can run it at 2 0hm or 8 ohm. My question is does it hurt anything running the speaker at 8ohms. Or would it cause any issues only using 1 of the voice coils?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by killthraka /forum/post/16979239

The bash 500 is rated at 4ohm, the PG 154DVC is duel so that means you can run it at 2 0hm or 8 ohm. My question is does it hurt anything running the speaker at 8ohms.

Doesn't hurt anything. Your amp will put out less power. Wire each driver up for 8 ohms and then connect both in parallel for a final load of 4 ohms. Use one amp to power both subs.

Quote:

Or would it cause any issues only using 1 of the voice coils?

Cuts power handling in half. Cuts BL in half. Completely changes the Theile/Small electrical parameters. It could have an HUGE impact in the size of the enclosure required. Unless you can measure the parameters when only using one VC, then I suggest you use both.

-Robert

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:

The bash 500 is rated at 4ohm, the PG 154DVC is duel so that means you can run it at 2 0hm or 8 ohm. My question is does it hurt anything running the speaker at 8ohms. Or would it cause any issues only using 1 of the voice coils?

No it does not hurt anything running the speaker at 8 ohms. Flexibility in wiring is the primary bonus of having a dual voice coil woofer. As for using only one coil, despite the salesman at Circuit City telling customers "DVC woofers were best because you could run one VC and if it blows, you had a spare", I do not recommend using only one of the two coils.

Quote:
Stuffing the sub box with cotton batting increases the volume. Or so i have been told. Does this cause issues, and is there a formula to figure out how much stuffing you can / should use?

By cotton batting, I assume you are talking about polyester fiber-fill used for pillow stuffing. If so there is no formula to figure out, but the general rule is 1lb of poly-fill for every 1 cu. ft.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
If you box is 25cf and you stuff it with 25 pounds of fiberfil, then you get about a 10% increase. So it will be the equivalent of a 27.5cf box. If you need 32cf, then build a box much closer to 32cf.

-Robert

·
Registered
985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by killthraka /forum/post/16980797

Stuffing the sub box with cotton batting increases the volume. Or so i have been told. Does this cause issues, and is there a formula to figure out how much stuffing you can / should use?

Heavy fill equates to 20% or less apparent gain.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I entered all the parameters as per your screen shot, and I come up with about 25 cu ft sealed.

You can get a decent response in that size of box, but each driver will only take about 150 watts in that box. 300 watts is all it takes to drive the subs to their rated xmax, below 23 hz.

If you can build a box of that size, they should work well as long as you take it easy on the throttle. Wire the coils for 8 ohm, and wire both drivers in parallel.

The 300 watt bash amp should be fine for your needs with that box.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts